Children - Special Needs Community
9th month baby boy not sitting yet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

9th month baby boy not sitting yet

my baby is 9th month old no sitting yet.he creeps,crawl,rolling and even stand up for few seconds wih support n use to walk in walker also.very very active.when he play he use his leg like he is doing swimming not cycling.problem is of not sitting.is it serious problem.he use to sit with support for few minutes.his calcium medication is going on but..........
Hello Achint,

As the above commenter's have said, there is a wide range of abilities within each child and baby.  Every typically developing child develops differently and at different times.  While there are typical milestone charts, you must realize that these are guidelines only, and are not meant to be written in stone.
For example, my son who has Down syndrome (a syndrome commonly associate with developmental delays) was sitting at 7 months and he is now 11 months and is creeping and standing with assistance.  My cousin (who is now a doctor) didn't walk until he was 23 months old  (that is almost 2 years old!).  My other cousin's daughter, just two months older than my son, (13 months) NEVER crawled but is now walking for the last two weeks.  
So in all these comparisons, you should be able to see that each child, typical or not has unique milestones and development.  
My question to you would be, does your son have any developmental issues that you are aware of, or are you just concerned about his inability to sit at this age of 9 months?  And if that is the case, I would not be worried about his development over all, simply because if he is creeping, crawiling, standing without support for a few seconds, it sounds like your son's gross motor skills are right where they should be, and there doens't seem to be a "problem" so to speak.  Some babies just skip certain stages, as my cousins daughter did.  Many children are known to skip crawling and go right to walking.  Your son might just skip the sitting phase and continue right on with his development.  As long as you are not witnessing other significant delays, (and I mean total gross motor delays) then I would say you probably do not need to worry.
I am also curious, have you spoken to your son's doctor?  And if so, what did they tell you?  I am guessing that they probably have suggested the same thing, for you not to worry, so long as all other milestones are being met appropriately.

If you have any other questions, please send me a direct message by clicking on my profile name (Dragon1973) and choose send message.  I am happy to help.

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Children - Special Needs Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator  
My son is 11 mos and didn't even begin crawling and sitting up until he was 10 mos. My oldest was almost a yr before he crawled or sat up. Every child develops at their own pace and they will do things at their own speed. My son is still not talking or using a sippy cup. My pedi is not at all concerned and neither am I. Talk with your dr at his next app. Good luck it's hard not to worry it really is!

AP
Like AP said, every baby is different, it doesn't mean that he has a serious problem. My friends son is 12 months old and he is a very very big boy, and they usually take a big longer and he can't crawl properly, sit on his own, stand, cruise etc. Every baby develops differently, take to your paediatrician about it next time you see him / her. Good luck
Hello Achint,

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;