Children - Special Needs Community
ADHD/PDD NOS child plays with feces - help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

my son is 7 years old, and was diagnosed 4 years ago with ADHD, combined type and PDD-NOS.  He has a severe speech delay, and has been on medications for the ADHD and for mood for almost 4 years.  He is generally very well behaved, verbalizes all of his needs and wants, participates in special ed classroom and is making enormous progress with his IEP goals, etc.  He is sweet, cooperative and cheerful, but 2 - 3 times per week, he will have a BM after nap, or before getting out of bed in the morning, and even though he is completely potty trained, he will poop in his room, and then wipe it on the floor, on his legs, etc.  He is able (and has often) to poop in the toilet.  What do you think could be going on with him.  So far, our psychiatrist has not been too helpful in this odd behavior.
I'm new here, just browsing at the moment, but your post caught my eye, especially since no one seems to have responded.

My son (11) also has ADHD & PDDNOS, along with a lot of other things. I have no answers for you, but would share that my son also has had troubling behaviour around urinating and feces.  He was not fully potty trained for BM until he was over 8 because he wouldn't stop what he was doing, would only go while standing, withheld a lot, and wouldn't or couldn't wipe himself.  But once he was, he still would try to hold in, sometimes using his fingers, which would get dirty, then would wipe it on the carpet or under the furniture, etc.  He also developed the 'habit' of then smelling his hand after touching his bum, and also licking his dirty fingers (Ithink to get them clean). this resulted in numerous staph infections. I am in contact with many professionals, but no one had any suggestions for what to do.  I just persevered reminding him always that it was not OK - sometimes in a good way and sometimes in frustration not so good. Eventually - and in the smallest of increments - the unnacceptable behaviours have reduced over the years. He now uses the toilet and wipes himself (occassionally a big mess will overwhelm him and sensory issues require that I help or he needs a damp cloth to help)....but he still has some habits in this area that are not normal (he will have a movement in his hand in the shower and move it to the toilet). We are working on this but happy that generally his behaviour is now socially/publicly acceptable.

He also had a two year period of time when he pee'd on the carpet throughout his playroom. this was very difficult to live with - requiring constant cleaning. I don't know why it started, nor whether anything I did in regard to changing it helped...but eventually it did stop. I tried a variety of strategies but have no idea if any or all of them contributed to improvement.

I just wanted to share that you are not alone with this difficult behaviour since I found that no one - not even the professionals -- wanted to talk about this and I felt very alone dealing with it.
my son 8 has sever delays he can only say some words has behavioral prob potty traing big problem i was just wondering is your child is constipated alot mine is and he is not trained either he can get on the potty but he still urinates constant and has bm in clothes on the floor in the tub and will put it in the potty lots of cleaning at the end with trying every thing to potty train we are at a point we just send him to the potty constintly and we still have constant acidents when he was a baby he would pak it in his ear now he just makes a total mess  and he is constipated alot we dont know what els to do except consitincey he cant talk very good at all so its hard to comunicat at times i feel he knows better becouse he hides it but other times im not sure becouse he doeset at times that he is really tring not to or somtimes dosent even realize he peed on hiself until i phisically put his hand on there to show him he also stuffs clothes and toilet paper in his underware or depend after a bm to hide it i guess any advise on how u got youre child over that hill into just acident somtimes his urin also has avery strong smell alwayse has
People with pdd-nos and autism aren't always special needs, it depends on how severe it is, if it's severe they are special needs but if it's mild than it's not special needs. Autism can be the same thing to if you think about it. I have a kid named Derek and he is in no way special needs.
The teacher told me it's a difference rather than a disability and my son is doing very well now, he's one of the smartest kids in school now, thanks to me training him, since me and my wife are divorced and legal rights. I trained him hard to become a better harder worker he was once in special education but with my training i helped him go beyond his capacities and he's really proud of me and sometimes likes to say I am the best dad ever. I give my son and treat him like he's human people who are different are not societies toys and i have learned to come to accept he's a person to and he has feelings like everybody else.
i know what you are going though. My son has Pdd-nos,Adhd, and Bipolar. And has a speech delay. I have report to the doctors about my son behavior and it doesn't make a different. I have been reading this website for a couple of days now.And i was amazed the he did the same things that the other kids was doing. I still confused about how to handle his problems
i have a 9 year old son who has adhd, austism spectrum disorder, and asperger's with bi-polar and odd. We have had problems with him pooping on hisself since he was 4. He was potty trained for a year. Then it started. He pooped in his pants instead of the potty. We have had school problems, grandparents, friends, and daycare problems. I have tried and done everything. We have to make him wear pull ups. He does get tired of wearing them and we go back to underwear. But he does it all over again. He has never played in it or with it, but we find dirty underwear hide in his room. So I know what you are going through and I will pray for you. Messageme and let me know how it's going and it does get better!

These are some links containing free online  printable social stories. Many of which are about bathrooms, toileting and washing hands and more. I hope these social stories can help.

http://www.slatersoftware.com/autism.html

http://www.fcps.edu/ss/its/howtos/socstor/socstories.htm

http://www.thewatsoninstitute.org/teacher-resources2.jsp?pageId=2161392240601226415747290

http://www.frsd.k12.nj.us/autistic/Social%20Stories/social_stories.htm

Oh my goodness. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my daughter, who has ADHD, has been occasionally pooping on herself at school and at home. I am in tears because i thought that it was just me.  Same exact strange behavior as your child. Her doctor couldn't give me any answers either and we were considering changing doctors because of it. I still may, there has to be some answers some where as to how this can be stopped through therapy.  
I felt your pain. My son is 12 now, going on 13. He has ADHD/PDD as well along with ODD. When he was 7,8,9 he did the same exact stuff and i was so upset but didn't know what to do either. His doctors were no help and said it was "behavior" related. He often held it in to where it would protrude out the side of him (under rib cage) and we always ended up in the ER. Over the years, he has kinda "outgrown" it. The only thing i see now is a pair of "dirty" underwear hidden in his room -maybe once every couple months. It DOES eventually get better within time, just strange how all these stories are linked together and not one doctor has an answer for it to help out us parents.

I  have 12 y.o girl just diagnosed with PDD-NOS, ? ADHD and low IQ, but othewise luckily high functioning. We've always had difficulty with toileting/using toilet paper/ wiping/washing hands, but now she also seems to get it on her fingers and wipe small amounts in toilet area. At first I thought it was a continuation of difficulty with toileting, but I occasionally find smears on her bedroom walls here and there (It's a nightmare having guests over - I have to go over the house as thoroughly as possible). Sometimes I think it's when she's frustrated and angry with the world or family, sometimes I think it's just that I need to keep on her with toilet training, sometimes I think she's exploring her body. But she doesn't seem to be able to - or want to - stop it. I've never mentioned it to anybody, including the paediatrician, but will now bring it up.
....another thought, maybe it is diet related ?? I wonder if anyone has changed their child's diet and found any change?
My son is ADHD, and has been on Concerta for the past 2 years.  Last December, he started having problems making it to the bathroom on time when he had to go poop.  Either that, or he was so involved with an activity that he didn't want to stop doing whatever he was doing long enough to use the bathroom.  Bottom line: He was going in his pants.  I have been dealing with this to the best of my ability.  Took him to the pediatrician; no physical problems or reactions to his meds.  He is a very healthy little boy.  He does not have any special dietary needs, and up until about 6 months ago, I would have said he was a pretty happy normal little kid.  The only thing that I can think of that has changed is that in December of last year, his half sister moved in with us.  Her home life was rotten, and I was able to provide a more stable environment for her to live in.  She is very happy now, and is doing well in school, at home, etc.  I think Neal resents the attention that she is getting and may be doing this as a way to get attention for himself.  I have tried everything I can to reassure him that I still love him, spend time with him, whatever.  This Saturday, I noticed a terrible smell coming from his room.  I went in there, and there was poop smeared all over the walls, on the floor everywhere.  I asked him what caused him to do such a thing, and he said he was "occupied with other things and couldn't make it to the bathroom in time."  Obviously, we cleaned the mess up and I had a long talk with him about why his behavior was wrong, and what he should do next time, but I don't think he gets it.  This little problem of his has ballooned into this huge monster deal that is starting to affect all of the areas of my life.  School starts Wednesday, and I am worried that he is going to be kicked out of the afterschool program he is enrolled in if I can't get a handle on this.  I have a call into a clinical psychiatrist, and an appointment with his pediatrician next week so hopefully I can get some resolution here.  I don't know what else to do!  I am at my wits end.  I am trying not to be angry at my son, and just to address the problem at hand, but that is easier said than done.  Also, every bit of research I have done on this problem either indicates a history of sexual abuse, autism, something called "fail parents" or some other severe behavioral problem. Neal is a good kid, and I try really hard to be a good parent.  None of those diagnoses seem to apply in this situation.  I don't know what else to do.  I am very much alone in this.  If anybody has any advice for me, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks.