Children - Special Needs Community
Autism?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Autism?

I have a 22 month old son. 1 year ago he could say mama, dada, and bite. Now he only says a long drawn out m o m, bi for bite and baw for ball. He doesnt say dada anymore. Some odd behavior he does is he flicks his ear, he does handflapping and he shakes his head no a lot. He is obsessed with dora will stand in front of tv for hours if you let him. He loves to spin things. He turns cars over and plays with the wheels. He doesnt seem to play with toys properly, almost like he doesnt know how? He just throws his tub toys, he turns pages of a book and will point at things but doesnt say anything. He has been in daycare for at least 2 days a week since he was 6 weeks old and daycare says he will not play with the other children. She said if you leave him alone all day with a car and some blocks he will be content all day. He likes to wave things in front of his face, his favorite is a paper towel roll. Could you all please give me your opinion on this because my husband says there is nothing wrong with him and he is just slow like the other boys in the family. Our daughter didnt act this way at all, she was curious about everything, he is just laid back and has his hyper spells but doesnt really get into a lot of stuff.
Tags: Autism
I'm so sorry to say that based on what you said this sounds very much like Autism. I am no expert but have done a lot of research on the topic. I just recently read "Louder than words" by Jenny McCarthy. She recalls the trials and tribulations of her son who has/had autism. Hearing your accounts sounds very much like what she had to say about her son. Please get this book and read it.

Please take what I have to say very seriously --- please get him evaluated and if he is diagnosed, you must act quickly to get him treatment. According to all Mom's who have kids with Autism you have a "window' to pull your son out of. And early intervention is everything.

Does he make eye contact?

When did you start to notice a change in his behavior?
Hello, Yes he does make eye contact and he does show affection. He is crazy about me, and his dad and he tolerates his sister. :) She is 14 and thinks the world of him. I noticed a huge change in his behavior after he turned 1. I dont get it. He acted so normal then. Some days are good, where he seems to have lots of normal moments and some are bad. Yesterday we was at the store and he kept makeing his noises, ba and mmmmm and mummble jumble, I dont know if that is normal but we are all used to it at home, but anyways a lady come up and said honey, all babies are special. I was like what? What did she mean by that? The only different thing I did with this preganancy is take Wellbutrin and my doctor assured me it was safe. I wouldnt even take a tylenol. I watched what I ate. I cant sleep at night this has got me so upset. I have got him being evaluated by early intervention so they can help me with him. I am just so tore up about this its hard to work or anything....
just a note.  Autism has a spectrum.  autism, aspergers, and pervasive developmental disorder.  all of the them are autistic disorders with different symptoms so to speak.  Please see a developmental pediatrician if you are concerned (they are trained to diagnose developmental delays better than a psychiatrist).  the "window" does not really exist.  You can not pull a child out of an asd (autism spectrum disorder).  It is a lifelong issue.  Early intervention will help that child learn to cope with and overcome it but does not cure it.  You can overcome it and live with it.  My youngest has an asd but is very affectionate and loving, severely autistic children generally display emotion differently.  It may just be that he is delayed in speech and that is what is causing the other issues but it could be an asd.  Many adults today with a higher functioning form of asd function and behave just like you or me and you would have no clue if they did not tell you they had an asd.  This happens because they got the services they needed at the right time (early on) and the proper diagnosis helps them to get that.
lylli ... there is a window for some kids. There have been 1000's of children who fall on the spectrum that have made improvements through this window. The key is early intervention and diagnosis. This issue has recently gotten a lot of press coverage due to "Louder than words" written by Jenny McCarthy. She talks about the "window" and how it was the best advice she received b/c it saved her child who has autism. Although rare, her child has signifigantly improved, if not cured.

Since the child in question we are speaking about now has not been diagnosed nor treated it is quite possible with early intervention and treatment could be key.

MHensley - look into the GF/CF diet too. Do your research and be aggressive.

He was evaluated yest by early intervention program. He qualified for occupational and speech therapy. She said his cognitive skills where that of a 8 month old. :( One thing he did was during the test she dropped some blocks and she said uh oh and he repeated her! I have no idea where that came from we have never worked with him on that word before! I have since said it over and over, he handed his dad a book and said uh oh. I know he is saying it out of context. I hope these people can help me. So there is a chance he can get better?
Your son sounds like he could be on the spectrum (right now)......IF you get him started on supplements and therapy you can help him....what you described in your last post is called Echolalia which is something kids on the spectrum do...try taking dairy, wheat and soy out of his diet...go see a homeopath or someone who adresses the nutrional needs of these kids.....I PROMISE you...you will see a huge difference...I know from experience...another supplement to start is Omega fish oil...the list goes on  

Myth:Autistic kids are not affectionate
Fact:Yes they can be
Im sorry I meant gluten..not wheat
Sounds like you're on the right track. Did the therapist discuss autism as being a possibility?
Yes she did, but she said its not her job to diagnose. You all are so helpful, I have no one to talk to about this until his doctors visit to the dev specialist. He started twisting his hands this morning, I have never seen him do that before. I am trying to get him to say ball again but he wont and bite, he seems to have forgot those words, so that will just leave us with m o m and uh oh now. I dont get it, why does he say words and then forget? How can your brain do that? But he still has excellent memory as far as his routines, where he likes to get his diaper changed, etc. If you all have any imput please tell me. I am a wreck here, does anyone have yahoo chat?
I am telling you and I SWEAR by it...go to the health food store and buy Nordic Naturals Omega theres a couple different kinds by them it doesnt matter which one and start giving it to him...take him off od DAIRY and GLUTEN (Gluten is in alot of breads and stuff) and you will see a difference within weeks...we started my son on Omegas at 19 months old once we did that we started to see huge gains in him
I am gona assume your son is a picky eater?...Does he have dark circles under his eyes?
The only thing that you can really do for him that you can do QUICK are the nutrional things I mentioned...then once the speech and OT start you can really get on track with those things
Start using flash cards and repeating words ALL the time to him....talk slow.....the Baby Bumblebee Videos are AWESOME...they are nothing like the Baby Einstein ....they really are geered towards vocabulary building ...heres their website

http://www.babybumblebee.com/store/main_store.cfm
He does not make eye contact. I forgot to tell you all that. I never really thought about what eye contact meant but the early int evaluator showed me. He doesnt look at you to see your reaction to anything, he doesnt look up at you when he is playing or doing any activity, he just looks down. The only time you can get him to look at you is when you hold him like in a baby position and then he will for a min and then he will want down. On repeating of words, can that be immediate and delayed a mixture of both? or do they just do one or the other, does anyone know?
You said you have a daughter so you can compare the eye contact to her...Echolalia(repeating words) can be immediate and/ or delayed...I feel your pain...I have been there...It will get better...Just will be alot of hard work
My son was just diagnosed with asperger's syndrome.  He sounds exactly like you child at that age.  He was my first so I didn't pick up on it untill he entered a two yr. old preschool.  From then on it's been a roller coster ride.  He is now 3.5 yrs. old and we are taking action.  I also have an 11 month old who seems ok..  This is a rough road..  I'm here for you if you need support.

Charlie
Well, after waiting for what seems like forever his appt with the developmental specialist is coming up at the end of the month. Nothing has really changed since the last post except he now touches his cheek with his index finger over and over instead of handflapping, his handflapping has calmed down quite a bit. He now makes these grimacing funny faces and postures his fingers and arms sometimes. He just says mom and bite now. Ill keep you all posted! Thanks for the replies!!!
Don't put him on any supplements or restrict his diet, as we parent's of autistic children know, they eat so little as it is why restrict it even more.  Those "treatments" could be more harmful than good and since there is little known about the cause of autism then you really can't know what it is your treating.  Early intervention helped my son so much and is continuing to help him.  Mostly I make sure that he gets to bed at the same time everynight and give him his optimal sleeping conditions (absolutely black room, no light whatsoever, with fan in the background) and I limit his sugar intake (which should be done for kids anyway).  Don't fall for the voodoo "miracle" supplements or "cures" out there, it's a throw back to the dark ages.
I work in Massachusetts as an ABA Specialist with children on the spectrum.  I can say, that all the behaviors you're describing definately points to some form of Autism.  Although, I have not found any of the diets to really be beneficial.  Kids on the spectrum do tend to have more health issues, but many also form some OCD (obsessive Compulsive Disorder), which, when limiting foods, can actually increase this type of behavior.
Work with him on his strengths, and some issues should just be redirected to be more social.  If, for instance, the hand-flapping interferes with his dinner, try and redirect his hand to tapping his lap.  The self-stimulatory behavior is their way of keeping things around them 'normal' and they do it, just as we may tap our pens or bite our nails.  They just don't do it within socially acceptable limits.
Lastly, if he is behind with his communication, I would strongly urge you to continue with verbals but also introduce some second form of communication, like sign language.  Many behaviors arise because these kids cannot communicate their thoughts to others.

I hope some of this info is helpful to you (if in fact your son was diagnosed on the spectrum).  Definately be proactive and stand up for your son's best interest!!
HI MY SON WAS EXACTLY LIKE THAT HE HAS NOW BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH AUTISM AND DYSPRAXIA IT IS WORTH WHILE GETTING HIM TESTED AT LOCAL PAEDIATRIC HOSPITAL FOR AUTISM OR GO ON WWW.NAS.ORG.UK (NATIONAL AUTISTIC SOCIETY WEBSITE) THAT WILL GIVE YOU INSIGHT AS TO WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR (IT HELPED ME) ALSO LOOK AT DOING MAKATON WHICH IS LIKE SIGN LANGUAGE BUT IT ENCOURAGES SPEECH, MY SON WHO IS 4 HE HAS ONLY JUST STARTED USING MAKATON IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS NOW I CANT SHUT HIM UP!! HEE HEE ALSO TRY TAKE HIM TO PARENT AND TODDLER GROUPS OR FUN FACTORY (INDOOR PLAY BARN)

GOOD LUCK
10% of boys have a speech delay of significance. I think eventually we will get to something like 5% autism because its been thus redefined.  Autism diagnosis in the case of ASD not classical autism is a matter of OPINION. One doctor can say autism another can say speech delay. You have to decide what you want.  I think there is a significant group of kids with sensory issues and speech and neurological delay but they usually catch up, some in 2 years some in 4, it really can take time. I know social people with poor eye contact and I think its nuts to pathologize kids as is being done and freaking parents out. But again, Im in a minority. There are autism support groups up the wazoo and a whole industry of professionals who are overpaid to remedy this. Then the kids need support when theyre older and dont have it.  My advice always is to enjoy your child. If youre concerned about speech you can get free speech services from the state or privately through insurance. You can do ALOT yourself. The first step is always communicating needs. You can do this with body language or words/sounds. Place something he WANTS out of reach. Dont dangle it. Say the word or the movement you want and repeat this. It works phenomenally. Love is what make kids great not interventions.  L