Brain Injured 14 month Oldbafter cardiac arrest
Hi, we have a 14MO son, recently while in ICU for croup he suffered a cardiac arrest during re intubation, he now has Brain Damage, they said he wouldnt open his eyes, be able to hear or see, walk or talk. In 3 days hes opened his eyes and is fixing and following and chuckles at our playtimes. he clearly has brain damage as some features have changed but the doctors cant say how he will be affected as its early days. has anyone else been through a similar experinace? the insult last 6 minutes but he only had no heartbeet for a short time however his pulse was weak and it took 6 minutes to get back to normal, during this time he was given oxygen and continued CPR. At present he is not moving his limbs much exept during muscle spasisms which he is currently take an anti spasim drug called brocklyphen *(wrong spelling) he has his gag reflex but not swallowing well so using a tube for feeds. All his other organs are perfectly fine and dandy and he is receiving no external support, his sats are virtually always 100% and heartrate is steady away expect at nighttime when hes in a deep sleep. His EEg showed low activity although they are now saying it could have been the drugs, his CT scan was positive and showed no major areas of damage but a global type of injury which people tell me will be a global development delay and hopefully means its a NEVER DELAY ie will never do things.
I am so so sorry this has happened it must be so distressing I hope he is doing better. I feel that you may get more input if you go back to the forums page , look to the right thgere are many expert/doctor forums they will be able to give you more information ..good luck