Children - Special Needs Community
Duarte Galactosemia and Developmental/Speech Delays

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Hi. I am mother to a five year old G/D girl named Madison. At day 9, the dr. office called me and told me to IMMEDIATELY stop all nursing and milk formula, to go to the health dept., that they were opening a special Sat. clinic just for her, and to report to the outpatient lab at the hospital as soon as they opened on that Monday. Needless to say, I was scared out of my wits. She was dxed with D/G with a level that I can't recall. I know the number is not supposed to ever go down, but I can't help noticing that she has issues that sound alot like CG.  Madison has a speech delay, developmental delays, possibly an autisim spectrum disorder PDD, and vision problems. I can't help but wonder if despite the "experts" saying that they will not have any issues, if all of this is related. Perhaps it's just a coincidence but I am having her levels tested again anyway. I do remember that she was at the 5% levels at one year. Anyone else feel this way or have children with delays?