Children - Special Needs Community
Feeding issues after operation on the heart
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Feeding issues after operation on the heart

Hi There, my son recently at 18MO suffered a brain injury and has been left with brain damage, in the beginning he lost his suck and swallow but recently was signed off via videofluroscopy with a safe swallow, his brain injury is coming along nicely and he has been left with basil ganglia damage. he recently had a heart operation to repair a vascular ring which was compressing his airway and foodpipe,  He had the double aortic arch repaired, he is 18 months old l. The operation went all to plan lasted 3 hours in total, he was intubated at 9 in the morning and extubated at about 5pm, he was in ICU for 24 Hours and home in 5 days. he has got mild tracheomalacia but never required any medication or anything and the stridor seams to have gone except on excersize when its still present which I am told will take some time. Its been 2 weeks since the opoeration and one thing im concerned about is that although his sickness has stopped instantly he can only tollorate liquids at the minute and is gagging on solids.... he had a bad cough when he came out of ICU which has gone now, no temp or anything though. the doctors think he could have picked up a virus and with intubation etc his throat could be soar still, do you have any other explanation, surely nothing from the operation could have made it worse?

Has anyone been through a similar experiance, please help