Children - Special Needs Community
Global Developmental Delay

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Global Developmental Delay

Hi are then any other children on the forum that have global developmental delay? Glen is autistic and GDD, it can be genetic apparently, which due to my family history could be a possibility.

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding global developmental delay?
My son has a different developmental delay called sensory processing disorder which is often comorbid with autism and global delays or it can be on its own as with my son.  I do know some things about GDD.

How old is your son?  What kinds of therapies does he receive?  
Hi specialmom, my son is 16, funding has just been granted for a 12 week inpatient stay at Prudhoe hospital in Northumberland.  It is for a mental health assessment.

At the moment Glen receives sensory therapy once a week for just over an hour and thats about it.  He doesn't receive any other therapies, well apart from speech therapy at School once a week.

The assessment at Prudhoe will be good hopefully for Glen as he will be receiving: art therapy, sensory therapy, speech & language therapy and play therapy.
Well, that sounds like a wonderful place for him.  I hope that all of the intensive therapy helps him tremendously.  My son is much younger at 6.5.  It is a long journey with a special child.  I am a huge fan of art therapy (as well as the others) and have found play therapy to be so valuable.  What type of mental health issue is he being evaluated for?  
Yes it does sound a great hospital.  Glen's behaviour is deteriorating by the day at the moment so the assessment can't come quick enough!

I'm not sure what you mean by what type of mental health issue?  The local professionals feel that Glen would benefit from an assessment due to his issues over the years.  Glen used to talk but suddenly stopped a few months back and hasn't started again.  He is extremely slow in his whole being.  Glen also hits his head frequently, which has increased recently.  He just has so many issues that no-one could seem to have any answers so a mental health assessment was asked for.  I will keep in touch.  Good to hear you feel play therapy could be useful.
I'm so glad he is going to the hospital.  I'm sure it is really hard on you caring for him ------- both emotionally and physically.  I hope it goes very well there and things are put in place to help the situation long term.

I just asked about mental health issues because I was thinking of those in terms of depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc. and less about his general mental status.  Yes, he sounds like there are neurological issues that are part of mental health.  I didn't know if you meant something beyond that.

Is he violent, if I may ask?  

Play therapy is really amazing---------- not only does it work on various skills that help one cope, but it also works directly on the nervous system.  Honestly, our gym work and play therapy has helped my son the most.  

I wishyou all the best!!
Dear Jeanne61

HOW do you know he has autism?

If you have not done genetic testing you cannot rule anything out.

global developmental delays is an indication for genetic testing.

Take him to a geneticist and get him tested.

Cead