Children - Special Needs Community
Global Developmental Delay

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Global Developmental Delay

I have a 2 and a half year old daughter,peadatrics have said she has global developmental delay and we have been picked up by disability sa
she is very double jointed and her knees bend backwards quite a way,she has just started walking but prefers to knee around.
She dosent talk at all sometimes mumbbles, mumumumumum.
Where i would love for her to be walking and talking that part dosent bother me to much,her eating is the major problem she is still on puree foods because she dosent or cant chew anything,she can bite of bread and things but just ***** on it the most of the time chokes untill i can get in her mouth and scoop it out from the roof of her mouth.
I have started signing with her but she hasnt signed back and not sure if she understand
Any help would be greatly appreciated,everybody that has seen her has said im doing everything possible for her but am always looking for new things to try.
I read another post which says GDD may be genetic is this true,no body has ever said anything.
I take her swimming once a week and she see a chiro 3 times a week.
Thank you
Have your paediatrican refer her for genetic testing. By two years old, if there is no specific reason for her to be globablly delayed, then a genetics evaluation is in order.

Check with your local school diostrict about having them conduct a psychological assessment and early intervention program placement. Then enroll her in an early intervention program with PT, OT, Speech, etc.

The sooner you start, the better.  She is not too young.  The longer you wait you will lose precious time in her development.

Cead
by the way, yes, as an answer to your question about GDD being genetic.  Often when children have global developmental delays it is an indication of a genetic problem.   All children develop differently and achieve milestones at different times.  But when a child is way out of range of normal developmental milestone as their age progresses, it is a strong indication that the child will have a degree of mental retardation and often other issues as well.  Do not waste time. Get your chlid an assessment ASAP.
Thankyou for your help.
Shes seeing the disabilitys sa speechy and physio and her pedeatricion is waiting on the genetic test to come back,ped said i may just have to accept that she will always be on purree the rest of her life.
She thinks my daughter is around 8 to 10 months in her development,but some of the things she does are more advanced then some kids her age.
tenec28,

how is your daughter doing now, 2 years since your first post?  Did you get a diagnosis? Are you still coming to this board?

Cead