Help! New school!
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have a thirteen year old with aspergers (high functioning). He was in a great program in our old town but we had to move because of financial reasons and the new school he has been placed in is awful. We are in Port St lucie, Fla now. I don't know what to do short of hiring a lawyer-which I don't have money for. I am really frustraited and so is he. I welcome any suggestions and/or prayers. I am at a loss, they put him in a class with children that are well below him intellectually. It is completely demoralizing for him, he has no one to talk to and the "normal" kids have now labeled him bc he is in the disabled class. He is so discouraged, I called for an IEP meeting but have not heard back. I can't take watching him suffer thru this.

Inga
HY HOW ARE YOU??? IT CAN BE A MOMENT WITH SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN. I HAVE A 5YR OLD DAUGHTER WHO IS AUTISTIC. SHE WAS PLACED IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL, BUT WAS IN SPECIAL NEEDS. WE TEMPORARILY MOVED TO CALIFORNIA WERE THERE WAS A GREAT SCHOOL CALLED HORACE MANN. SHE WAS THERE FOR 3MONTHS. THEY COULD HAVE GIVEN HER MORE HOURS THO. BUT HOWEVER IT WAS A GREAT SCHOOL. MY SUGGESTION WOULD BE PUT HIM IN A DIFFERENT SCHOOL, WERE HE IS IN ANOTHER CLASS WITH AUTISTIC CHILDREN. THEY ALL UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER. 1ST AND FORMOST ANY ONE WHO IS BULLYING WILL HAVE THERE PAYMENT DAY. NO PEACE WILL BE GIVEN UNTO THEM. IF YOU NEED ANY THING ELSE PLEASE DONT HESITATE. GOOD LUCK!! AND MY PRAYERS GOES OUT TO YOUR SON. MY SECOND CHILD IS A BOY, HE IS TURNING TWO IN FEBRUARY. I BELIEVE HE MAY BE AUTISTIC AS WELL, OR SPD) I AM HAVING A HARD TIME WITH HIM, MY HANDS ARE FULL WITH BOTH CHILDREN. ONE AUTISTIC, AND THE OTHER MAY BE AS WELL. ANY HOW!! I WISH YOU THE VERY BEST OF LUCK.
Wow. That is just sad, I am sorry your son is having to be put through such as situation. Children with special needs should never be put in this situation. Keep advocating for your child. You  know your child best and know what is best for your child. I would even try contacting a lawyer. We used one for my son because we wanted him in a traditional kindergarten class and they refused. I eventually hired a lawyer. Best decision we ever made. He has now been in the class for 3 month! Here's the link to our lawyer: http://csnlg.com/ He does free consultation. Its worth a try.

Good luck and keep fighting for your child's rights!