Children - Special Needs Community
Lots of diagnosis but are they right??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Lots of diagnosis but are they right??

I have a 12-year boy who was diagnosed as ADHD at age 5. The neurologist contemplated FAS but his biological mother denies drinking in pregnancy. The also did sleep-deprived EEG and tested for Fragile X but it was negative. ADHD meds didn't help. He also wet the bed every night until age 7 and still gets up 3-4 times every night to urinate.  He has since been diagnosed with PDD (high functioning Autism), ODD, OCD, Depression, low IQ, and possible attachment disorder (related to bio mom). He is in 6th grade reading at about a 2nd or 3rd grade level and hates to read.  We've been told he will never be able to live independently but falls into a void when it comes to services in our state once out of school. We've been to many therapists, a neurologist, and psychiatrist but just haven't found any good answers.  Any suggestions???
Hi,  couple of things. First, the wetting the bed until 7 is not unusual and in fact, 12 percent of all children are night time bed wetters until the age of 9.  So, that is not unusual at all and does not fall into the category of any type of disorder.  I would decrease his liquids by 7 pm.  that seems to help and he may get up less.

I'm not really sure about the diagnosis as you really don't discuss any of the things that lead to the evaluations or what symptoms he had/has.  That would be helpful.

As he reads at a low level----  what about a private tutor.  I've heard many success stories from that one on one professional teaching.  Worth the expense.  I also am a fan of learning trades and would look into that when the time comes during the high school years.  Does he have issues on states tests, tests that judge thinking ability verses just knowledge?
By the way, my older son has sensory integration disorder which can look semi similar to FAS.  He also has mild dyspraxia which can involve motor activities but also the ability to organize thought.  He also has some executive function issues.  We've done occupational therapy which has REALLY helped.  There is a link between physical activity and the brain/nervous system.  My son, after swimming for example, can sit down and do his homework much better.  He is calmer when he does the 'heavy work' which is basically physical activity that our OT has taught us about.

Have you ever looked into these types of things/  
Why hes not learning on a grade level because it may be a cognative disorder or is he developedmentaly delay with cause cognitive disorder. Is he on a IEP at his school. Adhd meds what kind adderall (adderrall) seems to work with my kids.