Children - Special Needs Community
Low Muscle Tone in 4.5 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Low Muscle Tone in 4.5 year old

My son has low muscle tone in his face, hands, upper and lower body.  It is not severe but he has issues with motor planning, holding pencil correctly, closing his mouth etc.  It's  been recommended that he receive PT, OT and Speech.  He speaks well but a result of always keeping his mouth open (due to low tone and breathing issues from adenoids (adenoids), tonsils, allergies)  he now is having some S issues and the M, P, B's.

My insurance only allows 5 visits a month across all 3 therapies.  How do I prioritize which therapy is most needed??  He's never had OT till now due to insurance issues so i feel that's impt.  The speech hasn't made much difference yet but he's getting his adenoids (adenoids) removed (again) and tonsils and hoping maybe then we can prompt mouth closing, etc.  I honestly don't know how to schedule his therapies on a monthly basis.  rotate?  Is one speech a month even going to do anything?

what do they say about low tone?  if he works on gross, will it eventually help his fine and possibly even his face muscles?  thanks for any help!!!
Yeah..you are in a bind.  I would get his adenoids (adenoids) and tonils removed and his speech will probably improve.  I would say physical therapy is the most important because his muscles need to be developed for him to breathe correctly.  When the breathing is corrected, he will have better tone and can speak more clearly.  I hope this helps.

Don't make that decision yourself.  I would suggest you take him to al three of these therapists and explain to all of them the situation with insurance (you are then "wasting" a month but at least you'll know).  The therapists will then give you a very good indication of how intense his therapy should be.  then you prioritise.  In our case (also insurance issues), our therapists teaches us how to do the therapy and mainly oversees the whole thing.  OT only once a month. PT once a week and speech once every 6 weeks.  It works if you or his caretaker are willing to put in extra effort.  Good luck!  
i am facing the same problem with my 2yand 8months boy and i want to know if you made the MRI for your boy ..??? and so a fraid from this....
am doing 2 times PT a week and for three months there is a big diff. now but still falling down and harm him self ,and in my country the PT is not covered with medical ins. but what to do we have to sacrifice for our children
I did do the MRI.  I was very scared and hesitant  but neurologist explained it was important for us to rule out any other dangerous conditions that his low muscle tone may have been a symptom of.  It was a hard process because they need him to fall asleep and stay asleep for at least an hour.  They were going to do a contrast mri - that's when they also inject them with some dye to see more even more details in the brain.  he woke up after 1 hour so they weren't able to administer the dye but felt they got a good mri of his brain.  A note, I've since read in the news some warnings about the dangers of this contrast dye so don't do it for your child.  just do the straight mri.  Thankfully, my son's came back normal.  Good luck to you.  So hard to try to make the right decisions for our kids.