Children - Special Needs Community
Mental Hospital

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Mental Hospital

Has any one out there ever had their child placed in a mental care facility?  Do they come out ok and not hating you?  We just had to put our 10 year old in for OCD with complications from a Strep infection (PANDAS).  She sounds so scared and of course she doesn't want to be there.
Are they ok and forgiving when they get out or am I doing the wrong thing?
We have an expert/doctor forum if you go back to the forums page and look on the right you may find better help there good Luck
Hi JennT1976,

I think, no matter what you decide to do, it is a personal choice.  I am not sure if you will find that many have placed their child in a facility, for long term.  I know that my ex's best friend and his wife did so for a short time.  Both of their children have high level spectrum Autism, and the youngest is pretty high functioning, while the eldest is not.  She has minimal communication, (pictograms/boards) and she would pull out her hair and hit/bite.  It definitely was tough and the decision was even tougher.  The mother could not help her youngest, while he was a baby, and during that time she opted to place her eldest into the facility.  She now has her back that her youngest is older, but it was a very hard choice for her, and she did receive a lot of flack from family and friends.  I told her that it was no one's place to make comments, they don't walk in her shoes.  But it was something she felt she must do in order to provide a safe environment for her newborn while ensuring someone was caring for the eldest.  

I certainly wouldn't be able to say whether or not your child would be forgiving, but I am sure they might feel abandoned at some point or aspect, depending on the age of the child.  The thing is, your decision to do so must weigh in favour of the benefits.  And when it's a mental care facility, it's completely different from a institution where she had placed her daughter temporarily.

What are your feelings on it?  What do your child's doctors say?  And your spouse?  I would think these are going to be factors in your decision.

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Children - Special Needs Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
I have to make that decision if the funding is agreed whether to put my 16 yr old autistic son in a mental health hospital for a mental health assessment.  He self harms, i.e. hits his head and he is also very slow, its been said that he has global developmental delay.

Glen would be away for 12 weeks, but come home mid way (after 6 weeks) for a weekend.  It isn't and easy decison but I think you have to think about your child and how they are and if help is offered then I think you should go for it.  It could make such a difference to your child thats how I look at it!  Our children deserve to have the best quality of life that is possible.