Children - Special Needs Community
My 2 and half year old no talking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

My 2 and half year old no talking

My son is 2 and a half and has been recieving speech therapy since he was bout 13 months old, he as well as my other 3 kids have had tubes from lots of ear infections and he isnt getting any better really. I am having him tested for autism in June cuz its a long wait to get in, and he is having an MRI march if we can control him not getting sick and his breathing isnt bad. He is advanved in his fine motor skills like he can do all types of puzzles, blocks, hold a pen like an adult etc he had a 25% delay in all 5 areas. He has been in a school special education program and I havent seen any improvement. He is sick all the time, has asthma symptoms daily, bruises easily and dosent speak except his own way for odd things like repeats green, blue, cool. I was wondering if all these r a sign of something more serious? Im doing everything I know but I have no answers. My 4 yr old was delayed an has PDDNOS, but he is talking and evetything since he got the same help. Also my 2 yr old had hearing aids for 3 months cuz they thought he was deaf cuz he didnt respond to any sounds especially the extreme loud sounds. Wasnt til they sedated him for a hearing test that they found out he could hear but he was too delayed to respond in the booth. Any suggestions would help so I dont lose more time in figuring things out to get him the right help. Oh also he goes to anyone and wants them to pick em up and he doesnt understand the difference between people, also he loves to sit alome with mothing for like 45 mims in our hallway and laugh. And we have no clue what he understands and its hard cuz he wont make ANY eye comtact even when we get in his face, he will look away. Thanks
Lots of ear infections...there is so much here, I think you need to start small.  Have him allergy tested.  I think he may have some major allergies that is keeping him sick.  Start there and see what happens.
With all those illnesses and easy bruising I agree with littlebit667. Those sound like signs of allergies or intolerance. Definitely be sure to look at gluten intolerance. If he has celiacs this could be contributing to the lack of cognitive improvement and always being sick.

achilles2

The allergy, astha, immuneologist called me this morning cuz they had a cancellation and he is allergic to 4 trees, 5 grasses, 3 weeds, both mites, mouse, roaches, and was tested on some foods, allergic to peanuts, but not reaction when eats peanut butter, milk, oranges. They r testing him for an immune problem and cancers cuz of all his symptoms of now going from 25% of weight to the 10% in a momth and the brusing, and the delays in general. He and my 4 yr old were both exposed to radiation while I was pregnant. My 4 yr old also will be tested cuz he has similar problems except his delays r gone, and he throws up a lot. My 10 yr old has always had an high IQ and above average but alao has asthma, allergic to all trees, all grasses, 2 weeds, all mites, all mlods, all roaches, all cats, dogs, horeses, etc. Now my 2 yr old is on all types of meds like my 10yr old. He has Qvar inhaler, singular chewable, zyrtec, aulbetrol still, and a nasal spray. We r hoping this is a huge part of his sickness which he said it is, but that other reasons like immune problems, cancers with these allergies could play apart in is development. Thank u so much for yalls in put. Anything else yall can think of that could be a reason for his severe delay in speech etc plz post. Again thank u so much.
A gluten intolerance will not show up on an allergy he has to be tested for gluten antibodies. (Even this test is not very sensitive and has missed many cases) You could also take him off gluten and see if he feels better that is by far the best way to find out.

Also do your kids have a nebulizer, this could help a ton.

achilles2
Yes all 4 kids have nebs thank god cuz in cuts down on ER trips. But it doesnt work but 3 to 5 mins on my 2yr old which doctor was concered. Also I didnt even think bout the gluetin thing but I will look into that. Thank u for all in put cuz I dont want to miss anything and want him to be healthy over all. Also any in put on other delays and possible things and or good tests or doctors or anything I would appreciate it. Doctors and I r puzzled but hevis going to have an MRI march if we can get his asthma attacks and breathing in general taking care of. This site has helped me so much. Thanks to all
I just thought of something, since you and your two sons were exposed to radiation you might want to look into flax seed. Here is an article about researchers at a university hospital testing to see if it helps with radiation exposure:
http://www.naturalnews.com/033657_flax_seeds_health_benefits.html

My sis and I use flax seed all the time and we have a coffee grinder that we use specifically for flax.

I hope this helps,
achilles2

PS You can hide the seed in things like applesauce.
I shouldve been more specific bout the radition but it was cuz I had 3 Catscans during my pregnancies with them cuz of strokes. I have Moya Moya disease from being born with a narrowing in my brain and I have strokes. Thanks for the info.
I am glad the allergist was able to see you early.  Poor baby, no wonder he is not feeling well.  Once you get a handle of that (and I do not say that lightly, that is a LOT of work), he should be feeling better.  How can a little one develop as he should if he is sick and miserable.  You are doing a great job.
Keep us posted.  I would contact the early intervention program in your area to get help.  What part of the world do you live in?  I can help once I know.
Thank u so much for ur care and responding to me. That program is the program I described earlier that he is in. I happy to here u know bout it cuz not a lot of people know bout that. Its be a few days since he has been of 5 meds and Ive noticed a lil difference. Luckly Ive done some protecting bedding etc cuz my oldest has worse allergies. I cant wait til my lease is up in dec so we can move to a better house. Our house isnt good for kids that have allergies.
I do not know if you are aware but singulair has dairy in it. (At least the tablets that are not chewable.)

http://www.rxlist.com/singulair-drug.htm

Also I do not know if affects behavior or cognition, but I am guessing it does but it also has aspartame and the by products in the body are wood alcohol and formaldehyde.
Here is some info about artificial sweeteners:
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/nutraswt.htm

achilles2
Yea, cuzy 10 yr old had issues with it, he got really aggressive. It scared me cuz he is a sweet kid and is a straight A student never in trouble. Doctor explained boit his allergies that when a test is positive its stating ur body is reacting but u domt always have a reaction when ur exposed to the item like rash, swelling of lips, wheezing etc. They said once the meds r working properly that I would be able to tell if he has a reactiom to the foods. Im worried bout the mental mood changes that it can possibly cuz though. With my oldest he took it for years then was off of it and took it again and then a few months later the aggression started, he told me im scared mom cuz something is wromg take me to hospital cuz I feel I want to hurt something. It broke my heart and I calmed him and stopped the meds and in 3 days he was ok. Thank u, cuz I had no clue bout the milk being in it. Im goimg to read the link u have though, hopefully it doesnt scare me more. Lol
Also I was told a few years ago to give my oldest son flax seed something to help with his severe constipation, but I was to worried to use it so I tried other stuff, does it help u go regularly?
Flax seed is high in fiber and this why it was recommended. It is also very good for you.

We use flax seed instead of xanthum gum-- it is cheaper and gives gluten free baked goods a much better texture.

As far as meds I am allergic to so many inactive ingredients that when a doctor prescribes something I look up the inactive ingredients on rx-list to make sure I can take it. It has saved me a lot of migraines and asthma issues.

To let you know if a doctor ever prescribes the symbacort inhaler-- it to has dairy. It is so stupid to put common allergens in meds for to help treat allergies.
I really think there's something to getting the vitamin and mineral balance right and checking there's no allergies in babies to 3 years old. Maybe the iron levels are low, or there's an allergy to milk proteins, or lack of magnesium, potassium or omegas. I know that babies have to have the right nutrition to develop properly and some problems may be a cause of the wrong balance. I think with bruising you need iron and with asthma it may be an allergy. Keeping the air clear and using a humidifier really helps and with the right diet he shouldn't bruise so easily You can also eat foods to boost your immune system. Maybe get some multivitamins, and also the allergies may go when he's better. Red meats good for building iron levels, lentils and beans, even baked beans for protein, and chicken soup is said to be good for asthma, plus thyme. I use thyme in cooking sometimes and also lavender in an oil burner is good. Plus I use an electric plug with carvol caplets I buy at the chemist for nightime to clear the air. from toya ***@****