Children - Special Needs Community
My Little Brother Can't Feel When He Has To "Go"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

SO the title is a little quaint, but you get the idea. Since he was born, he's had problems with constipation. It took him about 5 or so years to be potty trained, and lately he's been having "accidents". He's 8 now. We've been to the doctor numerous times, and had him on Miralax, etc. Apparently, his colon is really stretched out and he can't feel it when he has to "go". He's so sore and screams when you go near him sometimes. We had to hold him down once just to get him clean and prevent infection. Any ideas what to do?
Can say something about the constipation part... but not the other stuff...  Is he sore from the constipation or something else?

Anyways, you could always ask a doctor/pediatrician/nutritionist about diet.  If he has issues with his colon, you would definitely want to check what things he can or can't eat.  Not sure if extra fiber would be good or bad for him.  If extra fiber is good, I could make some recommendations...

I have dealt with constipation  my whole life since being a small kid.  My daughter has suffered from it since being a baby as well but since  she started eating solid foods, which was a little on the later side since she didn't get her first tooth until 23 months!!  Well I had to put Citrucil in her formula bottle (according to her pediatrician, very small amount) and now that she eats solids... I make sure she gets a lot  of fiber.  It was so hard for her before that point (she'd scream so high pitch sometimes it hurt her so bad and it took a little time before a suppository starts to work... again  on doctors recommendation). Now that  she's a little older and  eats adult foods...  She and I eat this organic all natural oat  meal that has  added flaxseed in  it (it's a blueberry flavored oatmeal from Trader Joes).  It has  a  lot of fiber, and  has  a lot of insoluable fiber which helps  you stay regular and  not constipated.  I also add a couple extra blueberries.  There are other fiber items we eat as well.   I try to make them tasty.  My daughter  is 2 1/2 and she  has a very limited diet of  what she will eat.  If your brother won't eat something  with fiber, you could add flaxseed to some  other item he eats.  Certain fruits also are good.  We like to eat cantelope.  

Oh, a warning about flax seed and fiber... you have to make sure you drink enough water in your diet.  Not sure what the recommended amount is for a 5 year old.  Again check with the family pediatrician.
Um,  correction  on the tooth at  23 months... I meant to type 13 months not 23 months.
I find from my personal experiance there's a window of time I feel the urge to go. If I keep myself too busy and don't drop what I'm doing to do my business, then I may not be able to go until later...  So far I've found improvement if I drink lots of water and include more fruit items in my diet. Cutting back on things like cheese helps.

Lately oatmeal works occasionally as a semi aggressive laxitive, so I've been avoiding it. Perhaps I'll consider it if II get blocked up and have nowhere I need to go for the rest of the day...