Children - Special Needs Community
Sibling rivalry or jealousy?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sibling rivalry or jealousy?

My daughter is 14 yrs, has Down Syndrome. She doesn't like it when her 7 yr-old sister is around. Doesn't like to sit near her or play with her. Her face changes when she sees her talking to me or coming close to me. She doesn't have any problems with her 11 yr old brother. I want them to be friends. Any suggestions?
Blank
535822_tn?1389452880
Make sure she is getting the same attention, I think you have hit the nail on the head and its jealousy..distraction may work and also get them playing a game together , take the focus away from you .
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
535822_tn?1389452880
Make sure she is getting the same attention, I think you have hit the nail on the head and its jealousy..distraction may work and also get them playing a game together , take the focus away from you .
Blank
Yes, I'll try doing that. Also I think I'll pay more attention to her. Thanks
Blank
535822_tn?1389452880
Thats good, when you are talking to the 7 year old bring the older child into the conversation, make her part of it.Maybe the 11year old brother is kind to her and talks to her .
Blank
1006035_tn?1391310794
I don't think you can force siblings to be friends, but you can make them be civil. If you want to encourage them to be nice to each other perhaps you can plan activities for the two of them. For instance have them cook together or go for a walk. Get a pet that they can care for together. It might take some time and effort, but I bet you can make it better. Perhaps you should ask your daughter's doctor/therapist for some ideas too.
Blank
You know that's one problem. She is non-verbal and likes to sit in her favourite corner near the window. But I think by making them play together and taking them for walks together, it might work. As skepticalpeach said, it will take a lot of time and effort. Hope something works. Thank you for the tips.
Blank
535822_tn?1389452880
You are welcome , well introduce not force the issue , perhaps  get them a drawing book each and have them draw something in the room ,its up to you to have them engage more with each other and speak to both of them its possible the older child has felt left out and isolated.good luck let us know if any of it works .
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Children - Special Needs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...