Children - Special Needs Community
Stroke InUtero

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Stroke InUtero

My son had a stroke in-utero somewhere in the third trimester.  He was delivered by C-Section at 32 weeks.  He is involved in physical therapy and has seen specialists (neurologists, hematologists....) He is our first (and maybe last :(  ).  Does anyone have personal experience with this or know someone who does?  I'd really like to know how he may progress.  What can I expect as he grows older...
We have an aquaintance who has a friend with a similar scenerio.  Her son has speech issues, some learning problems, and cognitive problems.  It is really individualized though and depends on which part of the brain was affected and to what degree.  I have a son with a brain injury and the most frustrating thing is the unknown and relectance of the medical team to give me a range of possibilities. How old is your son now?  One of the main things we were told was to see how he meets developmental milestones, such as rolling over, babbling, sitting up, eye contact, recognition of family, etc.  Since he is your first it is really hard to know these things.  Try to treat him as normal as possible.  Make the PT into a game and do it constatnly.  Our PT said many parents are not doing the PT on their own and their kids see much less improvement.  We do it constantly and I see a difference.  If he is having problems with being able to explore, bring things to him, different textures, and various items, that helps with their learning and development.  I wish you luck....I am just starting this journey with my son and it is painstaking.  I have learned you really can not die of a broken heart, it just seems like it :)
PS  He should get an MRI to determine the extent of injury or if there is anything evident on the MRI....
Please, for your own sanity, take it one day at a time.  Don't think so far ahead.  Yes, I would also like to know what 10 years from now will have in store for my son but I have been on this road for two years now.  Acceptance comes very very slow.  Set short term goals and celebrate when he achieves them.  Follow the PT's instructions to the last punctuation mark and you will be pleasantly surprised.  A little girl I know had a stroke in utero.  She is 5 years old now and has "graduated" to the level of a 3 year old last month.  Her parents were overjoyed.  It is different for every child, but try very hard not to think too far ahead.  Good luck  !