TBI and relearning
my 8 year old borhter had a stroke last summer, it was in the left side of his brain. he used to be the top of his class for all subjects, well now (he is in 3rd grade) he can't even spell the simple words (WS is WUZ FROM is FRUME and so on) he does have issues with short term memory and the way he percieves things.. my mom has been fighting like mad with the school to get him evaluated (at first they were saying it was anxiety even localized anxiety when she said why isn't it affectin all his subjects) finally he was tested and won't get hte results until the 26th o the month. he also at times has a comprehension issue.  
so how can I help my baby brother, I am 21 years old and he is 8 will be 9 on the 21. they aren't sure if he will get any of it back and if he does when the doctors thought he should have progressed by now and he hasn't.. so how to yuo teach your brother to learn what he has lost.  I do have a brother who is dyslexic  and they started to train his brain to for the letters the correct way but it isn't the same thing
Thanks a big brother who wants to help
This should be an issue the school and the doctors discuss.  Is there any way to get him assessed by a specialist, not just the school person but someone who deals with stroke patients this young?  It does seem, as you are indicating, that if things are done now when he is so young, they can have an outward positive effect maybe more than for older stroke victims.  I think in your shoes, I would reach out (or have your mom do so) to the doctor who treated your brother for stroke, and ask him about rehabilitation specialists who work with kids that have had strokes.  See if you can get a referral, and go to the appointments, and learn what they are doing.  Good luck, your best is all you can do but I am glad you are in there swinging for your brother.
she and my stepdad had him have an eval by a neuropsych and they were concerned with the test results showing something with the left side of his brain. this is why the docotrs did the MRI (they still didn't think stroke) we live in a tiny town in vermont and there aren't any rehabs here for peds, they closed when I was 7 years old (Im 21 now) his pcp doesn't know how to help him and the stroke specialist isn't really up to par as far as the educational issues. the school teacher is perplexed on how ot help him,,
thanks for the ideas