Children - Special Needs Community
Toddler Touching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Toddler Touching

Dont know how to approach my 5 yr old daughter when i catch her touching herself. I am a stay at home Dad, i tried to have the Mother address the issue but she is not taking it to serious but i need to no if this is something we do need to address or will this be something that is a normal phrase in her life and will it eventually pass, i also have a 3 yr old, will she follow behind her sister? Copy her? I need to no the right way to aproach her, i dont want to embarrass her.  Thank you, Florida blu
My cousin simply told her daughter that anything like that was private (I assume that by now, your daughter has been told that the parts of the body her bathing suit covers are private), and she can only do it in her bedroom when alone.  It took care of things because her daughter wanted to be out in the living room with the family more than she wanted to be alone in her room.  No, the younger child will not necessarily do it too.

Don't read too much into a kid playing with their privates unless it seems they have somehow seen too much or been touched specifically by someone with sexual intent.  Kids find their equipment, and some will rub it because they like the feeling.  But it is not the same as an adult masturbating, the nerves may be in place but the hormones just haven't gotten there yet.  Treat it casually, don't be embarrassed, but don't hesitate to send her to her room if she engages in activity that should be privately done.