Children - Special Needs Community
confused over 3 year olds size

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

confused over 3 year olds size

My 3 year old daughter is incredibly small. Shes in 9 to 12 month clothing. Baby size 3 feet and she speaks like a little mouse. She seems normal in every other way. Her speech is great. Her appetite is fine. When she was 1 she was in 3 month old clothing.  People used to wonder how she could walk or why we didn't protect her head when we held her as they thought she was alot younger  . Should I be worried? She hasnt grown a inch in a year . She gags on her food sometimes too . She coughs all the time. Since birth. Seems soo chesty. Maybe im paranoid?
I was trying to get the name of that condition for you and looked it up, and found this list on another website.  Def sounds like you should have her examined by a doctor in case it is something that can be treated.  
______________

Short stature that has no medical cause:

- Constitutional growth delay. Children small for their age but growing at a normal rate. Puberty is often late. These children continue to grow after most of their peers have stopped. Most of the time, they will reach an adult height similar to that of their parents.
- Your genes. Short but healthy parents may have a healthy child who is in the shortest 5%. These children are short, but they should reach the height of one or both parents.

Short stature caused by medical conditions or problems:

- Bone or skeletal disorders (rickets, achondroplasia)
- Chronic diseases (congenital heart disease, kidney diseases, asthma, sickle cell anemia, thalassemia, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, celiac disease, Cushing's disease, hypothyroidism, diabetes)
- Genetic conditions (Down syndrome, Turner syndrome, Williams syndrome, Russell-Silver syndrome, Noonan syndrome)
- Growth hormone deficiency
- Infections of the developing baby before birth

What does her pediatrician say?  There is an interesting medical condition that is characterized by small size (I'm not talking about dwarfism, it's more like basically a miniature person).  It seems like her doc should be consulted.
______________

- Growth hormone deficiency

Thank you for your reply.  The doctor tokd me to give her a little longer . This constitutional growth delay makes perfect sense  . Assuming she has asthma.  I have asthma. Hypothydroidism,  brittle bones and anemia. Could very well mean she has asthma wich is contributing to her delayed growth  after ant physical activity she gets breathless. I will take her back to the doctor.  Thank you for your post .