Children - Special Needs Community
developmental delay

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

developmental delay

my child is exactly nine months old he is not rolling, sitting up or babbling i am really worried my gp thinks it could be cerebal palsy, do  children grow out  of this i dont no please help me
Hi.  Cerebal palsy is usually detected at birth and I'm thinking you'd have been told this if it were the case.  

My suggestion is to seek help from a developmental pediatrician.  Do you do baby well checks?  On those visits you should be speaking to your baby's pediatrician about the lack of milestone development.  Then you would get a referrel to a developmental specialist.  

In the US, we have programs for kids birth to age 3 in which evaluations for developmental delays are conducted and treatment such as physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy are given.  Is there any such type of early intervention program in the UK?  This is what you need to look into.  

Some kids just develop slower and nothing is wrong. Or a global developmental delay could be involved.   But you need to see a specialist to determine that.  Early intervention gives a child the best chance for overcoming challenges.  good luck
Hello Ismeel456,

Speicalmom is absolutely correct.  There are however differing levels of CP, that may not have been detected at birth because of the possibility of the less severe degree of CP.  Most often though, CP is usually diagnosed right at birth.  It is not unheard of to have a diagnosis made later, when the Palsy is to an extent a lesser degree.  My first cousins daughter does have a milder case of CP, and there are indeed different types of CP also.

In the UK, Canada and USA when a child has a noticeable delay in any area, they do qualify for Early Interventions (EI).  The avenue that Speicalmom suggested to you is the right course of action to take at this point.  A developmental specialist or doctor who specializes in developmental assessments will be able to indicate if your child has any delays and can make appropriate recommendations as far as therapies - which should be covered and provided without fee.

As she mentioned too though, there are children who do not have any diagnosis per se, such as my son who has Down syndrome, but are still developmentally behind.  Typical children can have delays - some physical, some cognitive or some which we call global (covering all delays).  

In a previous post, I made reference to two situations.  My son who has Ds, but does not have any obvious delays.  Then to my cousin who has absolutely no medical issues, but had physical delays up until he was past 3 years of age.  He didn't sit independently or transition sitting (moving in and out of a seated position) until nearly 12 months.  He didn't walk until after 21 months, yet today he is a doctor, and walks and is completely typical in development.  So, there are all kinds of reasons for delays and not all stemming from typical medical issues.  Also, it's important to mention that physical delays are not synonymous with cognitive delays - they can occur independent from one another and not have to do with one another.

You can also request your doctor refer you to a genetics specialist as well, in case your child might have a genetic issue.  There are so many possibilities when it comes to genetics which also can be the reason why a child is delayed either physically or otherwise.  You mentioned that your son is not physically rolling, sitting and you also mentioned babbling.  Are there other areas of concern?  Does your son attempt to engage with toys, sounds, others?  Does your son respond to others appropriately?  Visually or vocally at all?  If you have concerns in this area too, I would definitely request your physician order an assessment.  If it is just limited to physical delays, then physical therapies can be very beneficial.  If the delays are also cognitive, or global - your son would definitely benefit from Early Intervention in areas specific to his delays which will maximize his potentials to reach his milestones and goals.  It is proven that these therapies provide children with the opportunities to develop typically and very successfully.

If you have any questions about Early Intervention, genetics testing or anything at all in this area, please feel free to message me directly.  I do know that Canada and the UK are extremely similar in this area when it comes to infant and child development.

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Children - Special Needs Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator;
MTHFR Group Forum Founder/Moderator;
Pregnancy: June 2011 Community Leader