Children - Special Needs Community
foot abnormality

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

foot abnormality

My husband and I just visited the hospital for the big developmental/gender ultrasound and we were thrilled to be blessed with a baby boy, but surprised to hear that he had eight toes on his right foot. We are going back in a month to look again at his bones, as they will be more calcified by then. The doctor said that he looks healthy and everything else was found to be normal, but I can't stop worrying about him. Can he have this isolated abnormality without any related disorders or major health issues? I've heard of six digits being common, but eight? Any advice or comfort would be helpful.
Do you think the doctor was right?  You might come back in a month and discover that the view the doctor had was misleading and the baby doesn't  have 8 toes.

If it is correct, from what I read, polydactyly can be a one-off thing, affecting nothing else and affected by nothing else, or it can be related to another condition.  Here is from the National Institutes of Health:

Polydactyly is a condition in which a person has more than five fingers per hand or five toes per foot.

Having an abnormal number of digits (6 or more) can occur on its own, without any other symptoms or disease. Polydactyly may be passed down (inherited) in families. This trait involves only one gene that can cause several variations.

African Americans, more than other ethnic groups, can inherit a 6th finger. In most cases, this is not caused by a genetic disease.

Polydactyly can also occur with some genetic diseases.

Extra digits may be poorly developed and attached by a small stalk (generally on the little finger side of the hand). Or, they may be well-formed and may even function. Poorly formed digits are usually removed. Simply tying a tight string around the stalk can cause it to fall off in time if there are no bones in the digit.

Larger digits may need surgery to be removed. The doctor should ask the parents whether there was polydactyly at birth, because a person may not know they have it.
Thanks for the info. :) from the screen I was viewing, it looked like they were right. The toes even have bones. They even had two women scan because they thought maybe it was an oversight, or possibly the hand was reaching or the feet were too close to tell, but after some poking with the machine and moving on my part, to get him to move, they finally got a shot of both feet separately. Five toes on the left and eight on the right. We have some missing links in family history since we can only closely track my mother's side of the family, leaving us with a little bit of missing information on whether it runs in one of our families or not. We are both caucasian, not to say it can't be us, but the fact that this occurrence seems so random us what concerned me. I'm hoping to hear from anyone with experience or just knowledge of this condition, since all I can seem to do is worry. I am grateful for your response. Of course my family that knows is very supportive and doesn't seem too concerned, but I feel kind of alone in my worries (although my husband is awesome and has tried to ease my mind with examples of all of the professional athletes who have been successful with foot abnormalities lol).  Of course we are praying for this little abnormality to be an isolated thing.  
No wonder his kicks have been so obvious! Lol clinging to our sense of humor at this point. Thanks again.
Congradulations on the baby boy and as far as his feet it can just be the only thing wrong my daughtervwas born with the tops of her feet touching her shins and was in casts feom the time she was 2 weeks old until she was 6 months old. Now she jas to
Has to wear braces but there is nothin else wrong with her feet so it is possible