Children - Special Needs Community
help answer my question pleas

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

help answer my question pleas

my 8 month old can not sit,crawl,hold head up wellnor can he roll much.he was 1 month early doctors say he is delay want i think there is more wrong
What doctors, just a pediatrician?  I would go see another doctor.
Dear Jess530,

In as far as your 8 month old is concerned, when the baby is born prematurely , (more than 3 weeks early) your child might more often have delays with development.  There are other additional reasons why your baby might be delayed, but they may have to do with genetic abnormalities, which you wont know unless your baby is given a genetic test called a karyotype.  (An analysis of the chromosomes).  There can be a whole host of reasons why your baby might be delayed, some are genetic, some are from prematurity, and some are from other medical problems.  
As the poster above "Anniebrooke" suggests, you should really contact another doctor, or at least ask your doctor to refer your son for testing to determine WHAT is causing the delays.
If there is a genetic reason for the delays, your son may qualify for Developmental Therapies called Early Interventions.  These are therapies designed to assist your child reach the developmental goals that are appropriate for the age of the child.  Keep in mind that when a baby is premature, the development is charted as corresponding to the baby's expected birth date, not his actual birth-date.  So, this is called the adjusted age.  Doctors will chart your son according to the age he should have been, not the age of what he actually is.  This is a much fairer assessment for your child, since developmentally, (and realistically) your child's development would be behind due to being born early.  But, even with one month early, the delays should not be extreme.

There is something else you can consider, all babies do develop at their own rate.  Even typical babies, who seem to have been developing slower or with a "global delay" (general all over delays) can meet their milestones, just some do at a later time.  I use this example often, my cousin did not crawl or walk until he was nearly 22 months old.  He is a doctor today.  Now, my own son (who has Down syndrome - Trisomy 21) is meeting all his milestones on time or ahead of scheduled typical babies.  So, there is a broad range of developmental abilities.  

What I would be concerned about in/with your son is his muscle tone.  Does your son seem to have floppy or loose muscles?  This is often a reason why babies can not sit, crawl, hold up their heads etc.  This is the number one cause and reason for physical developmental delays in babies who have Down syndrome for example.  If you can tell me that, it might be able to give me a clue as to why your son has delays.
How is your son's cognitive abilities?  Is he babbling?  Cooing or trying at all to say Mommy or Daddy (language specific of course).  Does he point or motion to anything?  Does he play with toys or have interest in things in general?

It would certainly help to mention these things when you speak to your doctor, or ask here in this forum.  How is his eating?  Can he tolerate anything other then milk or formula?  Does he have any teeth yet?  There are many questions.

Hopefully you can provide all/some of these answers, and I know there are a lot.  But if you are looking to find out what the problem may be, these are important questions, to note and ask/answer.

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Children - Special Needs Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
my 8 month old head does flop can't push spoon out of mouth yet no teeth yet he coos and babbles but no mommy or daddy
i forgot to mention that he does take formula ok  baby he eat 2 jar a day but thats in about a week
for some reasom the back of hi head seems to hurt he lay on back will scream you rub the spot and he sreams
Hello Jess530,

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I would definitely ask your doctor - or another doctor for a referral to "Genetics".  I am concerned that there is a possibility that your son has a genetic abnormality if not just a general global delay.  As I mentioned, often times there are genetic reasons for delays that may not initially be obvious to a some doctors.  The concern I have is that your doctor doesn't' seem concerned based on milestone achievements for 8 months with an adjusted age of 3 weeks prematurity.  

I have some other suggestions for you, but I would ask you to message me directly.  (To send me a direct message - privately place your mouse pointer over my "Dragon1973" and choose "send message".)  I have a few other things I would like to go over with you, and I can also provide you with a way to contact me more directly so that I do not miss your posts.  Because I look after 3 forums, it can be a bit of time before I get back to the original posts that I answer.

I hope that I can help you and your son, or at least point you in the right direction.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
my baby is eight mnths old but she doesnt hold her head up nor she grasp her toys..she just see her toys n smile...she doesnt sit n crawl yet...dr sugessed us her thyroid test..bt evry thng is ok...he gave us vitamins drops fr ma daughtr...but m still v concerned about her..
Hi there,

I'm not sure what kind of services or help you have in Pakistan but it does sound as if your baby does have a developmental delay of some kind.  There could be all kinds of reasons.  Was she premature?  Has she been sick?  Can you get physical therapy to help her do those things?

My daughter had those issues too and I was able to get her physical therapy to help strengthen her muscles to help her sit up.  She was delayed in a lot of physical things (walking, running, etc) but she just turned 7 and you'd never know it.  

Good luck!
Hi steph...thnks for u precious sugessions...actualy its my first baby so i dnt hv any experince...i didnt cunsult anv othr dr yet..except the one..abt which i told u in my last text...steph v dnt hv as much facilities here in pakistan as u hv there...wanna ask u sumthng..how old ur daughtr is nw???was she attracted towards toys in her childhood???my dr sugessted us to go fr neurologist...though my baby is not premature..she was v healthy at her birth..(weight3.7kg)....but knw whts going wrong wid her..u r
My daughter is 7 now and is doing great. A neurologist would be a great option.  Definitely follow up with this. And as I always say, go with you mommy instinct. If you are worried, get help.

She was a very happy baby and loved toys. She was delayed in talking and walking. Are you concerned about something else?
U r rite physical therapy is also gud option ill ask to my dr about this nd thnx for ur concern regards sobia w8ing for ur rpy
Physical therapy was great for 2 of my 3 kids. Helped a lot. The physical therapist can do an evaluation and see what can help also.

If you try to sit her up, what happens?
my son is premature3 weeks.Now he is 11months old..Hecannot sit and cannot hold his head properly.His mri. amino acid report' and karyotyping test reports are normal.Please help me