Children - Special Needs Community
mild Cerebral Palsy and mainstream school

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

My daughter is 4 in July and she is due to start school in September, she has mild cerebral palsy, her learning skills are good but she cannot talk very well, uses makaton, she cannot walk or balance on her own, she has a walker that gets her about loads, she has a great personality, just wondering if anyone on here has the same situation or been there with going to mainstream school as so worried about her.  
I have a son who is 7. He has severe uncontrolled epilepsy. He started going to a french immersion school for 3 yrs. We had to switch him to another school that was all english and had special education program for learning disabled students. My son is in his grade2 class in the mornings and goes to senior kindergarten in the afternoons, My son was assessed through the school board when he went to the other school because he didn't have the ability to keep up with his class. Once all of the testing was done, they found that he is intellectually disabled but he is in regular classes all day long. They have a wide range program modified to his specific needs. Most days he does really well. But if has a really bad day that he cannot get anything done, then they'll try to get him to help some of the other teachers whether it be delivering things throughout the school or anything else. He also get several different therapies during each week.They use picture cards with him to remind him what each day has planned for him due to his poor memory. All you can do from this point is to be the best advocate for your girl.Let them know all of her abilities and disabilities and just let her be a kid.Get her all of the help she may need and the school board should provide all testing for her.This is just to see if she'll need help in learning support or not. The school psychologist will be able to do a assessment.I think she'll do fine though.She'll fit right in.If there are questions asked, be as honest as possible even with the kids. The kids at my sons school accept him for who he is and he has to wear a special helmet at all times due to his seizures.Good Luck! I hope that all of this info helps you a lot.Let me know how things go for you. I'd like to keep communicating with you.
Thank you for that it all helps and will keep in touch.
My daughter is 11 and being mainstreamed for the last couple years....She has CP and is in a wheelchair and cannot speak....She can  say "no"....She has an aide with her....She understands everything....She loves it...The children are great with her....