Children - Special Needs Community
my 1st born is developmentally "slow"....help!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

my 1st born is developmentally "slow"....help!

My beautiful baby was born at 36wk and 3 days. She has come on wonderfully but we cant help but worry that the development she displays is a bit behind the "norm". Being our first baby, we are not sure what to think and we question what we should do to maximise her ability to reach her full potential...........Any wisdom or ideas would be more than welcome!    She is a very sociable baby and a happy one too, but she slept ALOT in her first couple of weeks and months and has a very loving temperament which we now are starting to worry may be indicative or a more serious underlying problem
x
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
Don't borrow trouble, she is probably perfectly fine.  A loving temperament does not indicate developmental problems, it indicates a content baby.  A child born at 36 weeks 3 days WILL sleep a lot.  Even full-term babies sleep a lot; some writers call this the "fourth trimester," where babies get their start.
Blank
Count your blessings and continue to love her unconditionally. I don't have enough information about your child to give too much advice. I can say that all babies sleep a lot - in fact that is when a lot of their brain development occurs. There are many children that are born around 36 weeks and live "normal" productive lives. To maximize her potential - talk to her, read to her, and provide her with experiences. What problems/issues are you experiencing and how old is she now?
Blank
1006035_tn?1391310794
Developmental delays are quite common and she could certainly have one. Nothing you've said in your post makes me think that she does have one though. I would need to know more. Have you talked to her pediatrician about your concerns?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Children - Special Needs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...