Children - Special Needs Community
my sons developmental delay
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

my sons developmental delay

hey michelle here i am a bit upset right now my son just went to A  peadiatrician and they said hes 8 months behind hes now 13 months old they said his head isnt growing as it should and he has to have a brain skull scanto see why in a years time .how long do kids live for with these kind of problems hes not weight beiring eather not walking or cvrawling hes very important to me i want for him to live a happy life .hes also getting bloods and urine done.but he seems alert bysides all these things what happends if there head grows slower than normal.
Related Discussions
9 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
298824_tn?1349958777
You should take him to see a neurologist...A neurologist will answer more questions for you.....is he involved in any therapy...
Blank
301640_tn?1302655934
yep hes in therapy for his legs and development right now
Blank
Hi shellsa, wow, a years wait for the scan? Did they say why they are waiting so long as from what you said his condition seems pretty serious?
Blank
298824_tn?1349958777
Does he have a diagnose?...Is he seeing a neurologist?....Is he making progress with therapy?..I don't understand why they would wait for the scan...sorry for all the questions
Blank
301640_tn?1302655934
his legs are starting to weight bare a bit now i hold him under arms and he stand jumps for a about 2 minutes they cant figure what is wrong with him bitearly to tell  they did said his head circunstance is growing slowley though.thats ok ask anytime u like about him im trying to figure him out too.
Blank
325405_tn?1262293778
Is his height and weight below normal as well?  Were you preterm giving birth?  Was your pregnancy normal or were there any complications?  These are all questions that my daughter's developmental pediatrician asked us.  Her head size is normal, but she has developmental delays so hence I know all the questions they ask or try to assess.

There could be lots of things the doctor should be checking in addition to having a brain scan.  Not sure if the age of your child is too young for them to want to expose them to a brain scan... I don't know if there's like radiation or something.  Or maybe they don't think at this point it would give them any accurate indication of anything?  Hopefully the bloods and other tests they are doing will help pinpoint something.  I don't think small head size causes death.  But it could indicate that he will have developmental delays.  Just keep on top of the doctors.  It gets frustrating.  My daughter didn't crawl until 12 months and she walked at 16 months.  She didn't say her first word until 28 months and at 32 months we saw her developmental pediatrician again, and I requested a report summarizing everything from the last few visits... and at 32 months old, they say her mental and physical age equivelant is 23 months old.  

I know sometimes it's hard to hear that your child has issues or a disability or something wrong with his health.  Ask his doctor as much questions as you can, even if you are afraid of the answers.  If you are concerned about life expectancy, ask the doctor outright if he feels that this might be something that could affect his life.  And don't compare your child to other children.  I've gone down that road, and it is depressing and not fair to your child.  He'll do things in his own time, and be proud of him for when he does them.  

Hang in there.... and keep posting... I find forums to be great places to find people who understand your situation and will hear what you have to say.  
Blank
301640_tn?1302655934
thanks for that that really helped u lomg message i dont compare him to other kids he does say nana mum dad good and also hes had his bloods done yeah he does things in his own time just waiting to hear now. i know it can be scary to see what they find he had a muscular dystrophy test and i hope every thing is done alright
Blank
325405_tn?1262293778
You are welcome for the response. Not sure how  helpful it was, but am glad you thought  so.  I will pray that his muscular dystrophy test comes back  negative.
Blank
301640_tn?1302655934
yeah thanks same here im hoping for a negitive muscular dystrophy test too cause i want my boy to be healthy
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Children - Special Needs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...