Children - Special Needs Community
pregnancy - blood test for syndrome of down

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

this questin is for mother with SOD kids
are you older than 35?

did you do the blood test to see the level of SOD?...was high or not?

please  tell me your story, I want t know if this kind of blood test really worksto find out if a pregnancy can be with a SOD risk.

thank so much
April
Hello April,

I am the community leader for Genetics, Down syndrome and also Children - Special Needs.  I am 37 years old.  First I would like to apologize for not answering your post earlier, I have been away in hospital.  I can help answer your questions.  I am a genetics guide designated by the hospitals genetics department for diagnosis for Down sydnrome and I am a mother of a child with Down sydnrome.

Can I ask you, when you mention SOD (Syndrome of Down) are you referring to Down syndrome?  I believe you are, but I wanted to make sure first.  Down syndrome is also knows by it's scientific name, Trisomy 21.

There is no blood testing available currently anywhere in the world that can give you a definite diagnosis of Down sydnrome.  There are many types of blood testing available that do screening for Down syndrome and other genetic abnormalities.  These screening tests check different hormone and plasma levels during pregnancy to use and correlate with other diagnostic testing to provide doctors with a risk factor that can allow them (by protocol) to suggest further testing if your results seem to be higher or your odds more risky for having a child with Down syndrome (or Ds for short).

There is much to tell you with respect to the accuracy for risk of Ds.  There are many women who could tell you that they had high risk assessments and yet had a child without Ds.  Oppositely there are women like myself who had normal screening and yet had a child with Ds.  So, the truth of the matter is, the screening is just that - Screening.  It is only a measure to allow you to compare statistically, if you should move to the next level of testing  - which can lead you to a firm diagnosis by more invasive type testing such as an Amniocentesis, CVS or PUBS testing.  These types of testing can tell you definitively if your unborn baby has Down syndrome or some of the other more common syndromes.

May I ask you - since I do not have enough information about your situation.  Are you pregnant?  (I assume you are).  How far along are you?  What kind of prenatal testing have you done up to now?  How old are you?  Where are you located (country)?  These questions help me to provide you some information that will be helpful and useful for you.

I would suggest, if you like - please do send me a direct message with the answers, so that I can assist you more privately.  In order to send me a direct message, place your mouse over my screen name "Dragon1973) and choose "Send Message".  It would be helpful when you send me the message if you could remind me what your question is.  I get many many many questions directly on a daily basis, and often it is hard to remember everyone that I have suggested to send me a direct message.  

I hope to hear from you soon.  I will get back to you as soon as I can, as I mention I have many many questions that are asked directly.

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Children - Special Needs Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
Hi Sandi, thanks
42 y/o  TTC for 2 years already +  2 (-) IVFS and finally got pregnant in a natural way

I started reading about pregnancy and I find out about the syndome of down and i nevr thoug of that, i though that was in the genes or something like that.

I read all about the blood screening and all and some of the cases end in termination of the pregnancy becuase of the high level of SOD.

Thanks for your comment. I have not done any kind of blood test yet about the SOD but its good to be aware of it... its scary

Hello April,

You are welcome.  The one thing I would pass on to you as part of my expertise, is to clear up the misconception that most people think as you do yourself.  Down syndrome, when we don't know anything about it, can seem very scary.  I want to let you know, it is anything but.  As a person who was "scared" herself, before knowing anything about it - and also given all the negative and incorrect information out there, let me be the first to set the record straight.  Having Hunter, (by choice after learning about his Down syndrome via Amniocentesis) is THE most wonderful thing that has ever happened in our lives.  I urge you and anyone who finds themselves thinking that Down syndrome is horrible or a terrible thing - to read my blog.  See the reality of my child and others.  He is smart, caring, and the love of our lives.  Before I knew anything about Ds, I originally thought I too would have to have a termination if I ever learned that a baby I would have would have Ds.  Today, after being in that very position, (and doing all the research) - I chose differently.  If there is any goal I have in life, it is to educate and advocate to the world what they do not know about so that they too can make an educated and informed decision - Ultimately not to be scared of the unknown.
You can read our journey here:  www.welcometoourhouse-myjournal.blogspot.com

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Hi Sandi, thanks for taking the time reading and writting to me.

Having a child comes with a lot responsabilties and  the world is hard as it is and I can not imagine if you a special child.(sod . autistm..etc)

I wonder what will happen with them when we are not here on earth to defend them...who is going o take care of my kid when he/she grow older?

if that is my destiny and then i will have to learn a lot and i will need a lot of support but without offending anyone i rather not be in that situation since i do a lo  voluntary work with pets who suffer a lot and its already hearbreaking for me.

Its good to be inform , you never know and i do really appreciate your time and i wont not look anymore with ignorance about kids with SOD.
I will learn as much as i can and  i will help,  it will be my pleasure.
Its good to learn new things everyday