Children - Special Needs Community
retaining information and comprehending what has been said

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

I had a very traumatic upbringing and blamed that on my loss of memory from my school days, college days etc, I try to recollect what I have learnt in the past and not a lot comes back, I did not do very well at school but I improved over the years at college, My daughter is now 11 and preparing for her exams at primary school in preparation for senior school, she has real problems retaining information and comprehending what has been said to her, she is not Special needs, she has been told that she needs more confidence but she is a confident child out of school, she hugely struggles with learning and recalling numbers, tables etc, wondering what is wrong with her and if this type of thing is hereditary as I have this issue with remembering what I was taught at school.

This discussion is related to learning problems.
Have you tried to get her tutoring where maybe they can find a different method of teaching her how to study and remember things? Have you talked with your doctor about these issues with your daughter? Every child learns differently. Maybe she doesn't learn the way that the teachers are teaching her. There are different ways to learning. Are there specific classes or subjects of school that she has most difficulties with? For example: math, language, history, science, geography, etc? I believe that learning problems can be inherited. Here's why I believe this: in my family, all of the boys that are born into my family always seem to have some sort of learning disability in one way or another.My older brother is physically and mentally disabled, my little brother is dyslexic, my oldest son is intellectually disabled due to his uncontrolled epilepsy,and my 1 yr old seems to be behind learning to do certain things such as crawling, rolling,etc.But he does bum scoot all over my house so he makes up for the other things. Have you ever had her assessed by the learning support teachers at your kids school?Or by a school board psychologist?Just some suggestions to think about. It can't hurt to have your children assessed and get them help if they need it. It certainly wouldn't mean that she is special needs at all.Please write me if you want. I've been through the wringer and back with my son and the school board stuff. I'll be glad to give you whatever advice I can, from experience.My 10 yr old was just assessed as well.She turned out to be fine in all aspects.I had her looked at because she seemed to be having problems all year.So I asked her teacher to refer her to the learning support teacher. I hope this info helps you out with both of your children. Take care.