Children - Special Needs Community
touching private part/ toddlers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

touching private part/ toddlers

my daughter is 4 year old and I caught her playing with her private part.  I do not know what to do.. Should I act like I didn't see or should I spank her and tell her it is wrong. Please respond... So worried.
I have three kids and they all, at one point touched their private parts. I dont think you should yell at her but I always encouraged my kids to stop touching themselves. Also, it is never too early to tell them that they should NEVER show or let anyone touch their private parts (other than doctors & mom... if they are having a problem).
This approach usually worked for me and if you repeat this excersice every time she is touching herself inappropriatly she will eventually get the picture.

Long story short....it is usually normal. If she is re-enacting something or touching her self in ways that dont seem like innocent exploring.....ask questions!
Please don't spank her or she will have some sick hangups!

Do ask questions, but do NOT shame her!

My 4 yr old does this too.  I have had the talk about private areas, and that nobody but her mom, her dad, and her doc is to see/touch her privates.

My 5yrs old  was touching her private areas.and  i have no clue how to react.i have told her many times that is wrong but she doesnt understand that part now i just noticed that she knows its a bad thing she wont do in front of me but if she is alone she does it and she tries to hide it from me. i am sooooooo worried tell me something plzz
Toddlers and children touching themselves is very normal and part of typical development.  It is not "wrong" or "bad".  They ALL go through this, as they are trying to figure out their world, their body, etc.  As a therapist working with young children, I see this ALL the time.  Please do not spank or reprimand your child for doing what is normal.  And, to be quite frank, this exploration feels good to them, so why wouldn't a toddler or young child do it?  They will not understand your scolding or spanking.  Ignore the behavior and it will likely take care of itself.  
My daughter is 2 and a half years old, and she toucjes her private part when Im not looking or around, because I yelled at her the first time I saw her do this, My jaw just dropped, is it normal to start at such a young age? I felt bad after I yelled at her, but so far she has done it 4 times that I know of..It makes me very mad and very concerned, I don't know what to do......
It is normal for  young children to touch themselves.  For very young kids like 2 1/2 don't make a big deal of it.  I wouldn't scold or even obviously pay attention to it, just distract your child.  

For a child that is a bit older, you can just tell them (not in a scolding way) that that area is private and they should not touch it in public. Again, distraction is probably also an appropriate response rather than scolding..