Children - Special Needs Community
what can cause tears to burn the skin?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

what can cause tears to burn the skin?

My son is 19mths and has lots of different health probs, mild right sided cp, recurrent kidney and uti's, macrochephaly, seizures, global delay, no words at all etc. My question which I'm hoping someone can answer for me is this. When he cries his tears actually burn the skin on his cheeks and leave red marks behind on the skin. What could be causing this? No one has been able to help. He doesn't have any allergies that we know of(we have a cat and a dog) or sensitive skin. He isnt on any meds so I cant blame anything like that. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you had his ph level tested in blood tests?  It may be that his whole body (blood,  saliva,  tears) are very acidic.  I just briefly googled normal ph human tears,  and found some really interesting articles about high acid in bodies causing varied problems.  

You could even just get a test strip at a pet store (aquarium section) and measure his tears and saliva yourself.
Thanks for your reply. What you said was very interesting. As I said earlier, my son has lot of different health problems. He had an mri done last June and the findings suggested the possibility of glutaric aciduria. He had a chromosome blood done but they said it came back and also had the organic acid urine test done which they said came back clear too. He frequently has kidney and uti infections but they did and mcug and there was no reflux, so why the kidney infections?  He seems to have so many different things going on but I cant seem to get any answers.  
I really think you're on to something with his tears.  That sounds like such a clear red flag for acid.

From what I understand urine acidity changes all the time depending on what was eaten - so an acid urine test doesn't seem like it would be the best way to test his overall ph.

Best wishes.  
Thanks for your reply. Are you medical? From your post it sounds like you have medical knowledge. I am terrified of the possibility that it could be glutaric aciduria, I dont know if you know much about this disorder. A year ago(april 3 07) he was hospitalised having had 2 major seizures(which they said were febrile but I've since heard that it is rare to have 2 febs in one day and febs only last a few mins his lasted 35mins each) Diagnosis was kidney and uti infection with sepsis. He had a ct brain done and it suggested menengitis or encephalitis along with other iregularities. They did a lp for the meningitis but didn't test for encephalitis.He was hypotonic and global delay and slumped to the right side since birth. He had an mri in june 07. It showed widened sylvian fissures, enlarged csf spaces, abnormalities of the white matter etc. It also questioned glutaric aciduria. We then had to wait 6 months to see the neurologist in December 07. He didn't think there was anything wrong with my son at all and felt that the mri was "fairly normal". As I said before his blood and urine test came back clear so now I'm really at a loss! He was in A&E two weeks ago with swollen lymph nodes on the back if his head even though he wasn't sick and I know lymphs denote infection somewhere. They said he was fine. They are still swollen and painful today two weeks on. I dont know if I already but he has macrochephaly, his head is above the 97th centile(incidently his dr had been measuring it wrong!) Any suggestions on where I go from here?  Many thanks
isthiscp -I don't have much medical history except some experience with prenatal women's health.  I'm REALLY interested in medical stuff so I've read a lot,  but I'm not specifically trained.   So I had a bit of a struggle getting through some of the specifics of your last post - I really don't want to act likeI know more than I do.  ;D

So he's had the genetic test for flutaric adicuria, and that came back negative in his DNA?  Yet his MRI also brought up the possibility of glutaric aciduria.

If his body is low Ph (acid),  then he could still be experiencing all the symptoms of low ph that are caused by glutaric aciduria,  without actually having that disease.  Does that seem possible?  

I think somehow you need more comprehensive help than you're getting.  Reading through your information it seems like all the information is there for some really big clues - and it doesn't seem like anyone follow up?

I did find this link,  on ph and diet.  It might be a place to start - having his ph rechecked and look though the diet for thoughts.

If I were you,  I'd go to the petstore and get the ph strips,  too.  I just think you're right about his tears - that they are an important clue and not something incidental.

http://home.bluegrass.net/~jclark/alkaline_foods.htm
Thanks for your reply. Like you, most of the medical knowledge I have aqcuired has been through research and reading because you are quite right I haven't been getting much information from the dr even though I feel that I have been asking the right questions the just dont seem to be taking my concerns very seriously. He has been hospitalised several times now after tonic clonic seizures yet the eeg showed no epilepsy. Kidney infections but kidneys are clear. Sepsis but no tests done as to why? Macrochephaly but the say he looks fine. Sist on the spleen but the say its nothing to worry about. Not even "mama" at 19 months but the are saying he is a "late bloomer". Incidently, I had a very difficult pregnancy and labour(post delivery diagnosed vasa previa and there was a true knot and nuchal knots in the cord and there was fetal bradycardia)  I am so worried about him.
hi was just reading your post was wondering about your sons speech delay, has he had his hearing checked? he may need gromets, or his hearing could be the underlying prob of his delay!
Was also wondering about your sons seziures, has he had an EEG done? to test for epilepsy? if not i would recomend you get one done, also epilepsy does not always show up on an EEG. He may also need an ECG because cetain heart defects can show up in the form of a seziure, my advice is to get him tested for these if for nothing then to put your mind at rest.
hope i have helped.
Thanks for your reply. He has had his hearing checked, it was fine. Also he had an EEG, they said the results are normal. Personally, I feel his hearing is perfect(he will hear things around the house and will look around)
I am training to b a nutritional therapist and my assignment at the mo is acid and alkaline ph of the body. In reading my book they say if your body is too acidic it will lead to disease and then death. I don't want to frighten you but the balance Is very important. Like I said I'm only training but it's very worth talking to maybe a qualified nutritionist and getting them to get rid of the acid in his body and balance the ph of his body.
My son had so many of yours same problems when he was a baby. He had fluid on the brain and head very big and held it to the right due to his neck muscles not being strong enough to support it. He was 2 months old and had 6 seizures in one day. Almost everything you say sounds so familiar. I never really did get answers to explain why he had these problems,just that it was a variant of normal....except the seizures they said he could have them everyday or never again they can't be sure and he could have any type of seizure. He is 16 years old now and perfectly normal he has a little bit of a larger head,but other then that normal teenager.