Children's Allergies Community
4 year with a persistent cough and cold like symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to children’s allergies, hay fever, school issues, and allergies to animals and pets, birch pollen, drugs, dust mites, foods, insect stings, latex, mold, MSG, ragweed, peanut, and sulfite.

I wonder if anyone can help.  I have a  4 year old daughter who has been coughing for 3 to 4 months.  She wakes up most nights coughing.  It sounds like she has a lot of mucus in her throat.  She will cough continuously for more than an hour at a time.  She coughs when she wakes up, when she runs around, goes out into the cold air.  In addition to this, she is pale and has dark circles under her eyes.  He have seen the doctors about 4 times and we are told it is 'upper respiritory tract infection' and that there is no medication and that some children get many reoccuring colds.  We have tried all sorts of cough medications and in honesty they probably don't work.  Her cough is mainly tickly and her lungs seem fine . However sometimes her chest hurts when she coughs.  She doesn't wheeze and she has had a couple temperatures recently. At the moment she has nasal congestion as well.  It is hard to tell whether it is a continuous cold or something else.       I have noticed some mould which I have got rid of.  It was on the wall behind furniture in her bedroom.  If it was an allergy to this would she still be coughing nursery and away from her room. Can anyone advise how we can help her?
My son had many reoccuring colds and upper respritory infections.  It seemed like we were in the doctors office every other week.  Finally they sent us to see an allergy specialist.  They ran the allergy test and found that indeed my youngest son was allergic to mold.  I didn't know where the mold spores were coming from so we did an extensive and massive clean up of our home.  Low and behold the mold was mainly behind the washer and dryer in the laundry room.  The doctor wanted to put son through a series of allergy shots, which I researched.  I did not like the possible side affects, mainly the possibility of anaphalactic shock and death.  I decided I had rather have him here coughing his head off instead of taking that chance and putting him in the ground.  Then he started getting tonscilitis.  They finally took his tonscils out and he has done so much better since.  The coughing, colds and almost every aspect of his health has improved tremendously.  

But yes, you need to get rid of all of the mold in your home.  Clorox and water and possibly new fresh paint.  And she would still be coughing even away from the nursery.

I wish you the best of luck for your little girl.
It sound like it could be whooping cough. It's called the 100 day cough. I had it four years ago and 6 different doctors diagnosed me with a chest infection. Then a doctor randomly tested me for whooping cough and it was positive. I had it again the 2 following years around the same time also and had a cough ever since. Ask for her to be tested for whooping cough, it couldn't hurt to eliminate one thing off he List.