Children's Allergies Community
Allergy to talcum powder?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to children’s allergies, hay fever, school issues, and allergies to animals and pets, birch pollen, drugs, dust mites, foods, insect stings, latex, mold, MSG, ragweed, peanut, and sulfite.

Allergy to talcum powder?

My 9 month old has had a severe diaper rash for 2 weeks now.  We have put everything one it; desitin, vusion ointment nystatin and baby powder.  I would usually coat her bottom with the ointment and then sprinkle powder over it.  It just seemed to get worse.  I have two different baby powder bottles floating around and put the corn starch powder on her last night.  Her rash is almost completely healed.  I know that we have used the talcum powder over the last few days when the rash seemed to be severe.  I think that this is what caused it to blister and become inflamed.  Has anyone experienced this before or heard of anything similar?
Yes, it can be from a fragrance maybe?  Also, sometimes if you coat with Mylanta and then put on the cornstarch powder that helps coat and protect and heal (if ok with your dr) .. the Mylanta helps to sooth and irritate the skin.

The pediatric ward won't allow talc to be used in many hospitals but maybe that is cause of the inhalation into the lungs?

C~
Yes. My baby girl, 7 months, has a mild diaper rash. We put some baby powder on her since we had nothing else with us and within a few hours her bottom was bright red and had some bloody spots. As soon as we saw this we washed her off and put on vasiline and corn starch. It was almost completely healed by the next day. Turns out she is allergic to the perfumes and talc in the baby powder.
I am highly allergic to talc, so it is possible.
All 3 of my kids creams do not work, but make things worse. I SWEAR by plain old cornstarch. I bought a confectioners sugar shaker, and just fill is with the plain corn starch, and if any sight of diaper rash, it is GONE overnight.