Benadryl Allergies for Cough???
Hi all..thanks in advance for anyone who may have an answer to my question.

I have two nephews, ages 2 and 3, who have had a cough due to a cold for the past couple of days. I babysat tonight, and to my surprise my sister-in-law brought me Benadryl Allergies to give them for their coughs. She tells me that the pharmacist said it would treat their cough, and not to give them cough medecine for children. I went to the drug store and spoke to a pharmacist who told me she could give them cough syrop, namely Benalyn DM ( not DM-D or DM-E as these can be harmful).

I would just like to know if anyone else had heard of giving a child Benadryl Allergies for a cough? I have tried to look up info on the internet but have not found anything.

Thanks again
Benadryl, I have found as a mom to 4 children who have bad environmental allergies, that the antihistamine properites lessen the drip that causes the cough .. so, yes, it really can help the cough at night!  I was amazed when my Pedi suggested it .. she said Benadryl, Clariten or Zyrtec all would help with Benadryl being top choice but not to give during school day for long periods of time as studies have shown (according to her) that it can make you drowsy and less attentive, etc.

C~
Most Pediatricians do not recommend cough medicine for children under 6 now due to the fair amount of children that have died due to it.
Yes. In the drug book I have, it lists benadryl as an anti-tussive (cough suppressant). There are sooo many drugs that are given for other reasons (allergies, pain meds, anti-nausea, etc) that are cough suppressants as well. i/e hydrocodone (one brand name is lortab) is also a cough suppressant, phenergan (anti nausea) is also a cough suppressant...Of course the examples I gave are rx and not recommended for children. benadryl would be fine, just give the recommended dosage for their age/weight. It would probably be 1/2 tsp for the 2 year old, & 3/4 tsp for the 3 year old. I would double check that to make sure.
Hi, today 13/07/2010, my daughter has a cold along with a bad cough especially at nights and her pedi recommended Benadryl. I trust Benadryl more than the other cold and cough medicines there is. I give it 95%. Hope your tot gets well soon xx