Children's Allergies Community
Bites from carpenter ants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to children’s allergies, hay fever, school issues, and allergies to animals and pets, birch pollen, drugs, dust mites, foods, insect stings, latex, mold, MSG, ragweed, peanut, and sulfite.

Bites from carpenter ants

My daughter is 7 years old and was bit twice on the head and twice on her back by what we think are carpenter ants. We noticed they were coming in the bedroom and are currently working on getting rid of the ant problem in the house. These bites swelled up tremendously right after being bitten, the swelling went away for a good part of the day and then swelled up really bad in the evening again. We have given her children's benadryl along with the children's benadryl gel on the bites themselves. We have also been icing it. Is there anything else I can do to keep the swelling down or eliminate it completely? I took her to the ER earlier but they were not concerned (and did no treatment) and said this was all pretty normal and to just keep doing what I am doing but I am still worried. In the past she has tested positive for MRSA, so that is also why I am concerned. Is this really bad swelling normal with ant bites?  I have been bitten by these ants and do not swell up the same way she does, does this mean she is allergic to them? Is there anything else I can do for her? Thanks so much to anyone who replies!