Children's Allergies Community
Can pitaya fruit cause allergy to toddler?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to children’s allergies, hay fever, school issues, and allergies to animals and pets, birch pollen, drugs, dust mites, foods, insect stings, latex, mold, MSG, ragweed, peanut, and sulfite.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can pitaya fruit cause allergy to toddler?

I gave my 8 month-old baby  a small chunk of pitaya fruit. About 3 hours later, she woke up crying and I saw both of  her ears were red and swollen.  Hours later,  the redness and swelling subsided  but  there was red spots all over her body. Her fingers were swelling red too. I suspected the pitaya fruit was the allergen  beause she was not fed other new types of food that day. Is this possible? What can I do to bring relif to her rashes?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
168348_tn?1379360675
Let me do a bit of research to see what family this fruit is in .. I am not familiar with it .BUT ANY FOOD can cause an allergy and this sounds like an allergic reaction for which, yes, ears can become red and swollen and the rash, too .. ea. intro of the same food may bring worse symptoms.  Definitely tell your Dr and let me see about what this fruit is .. I have never heard of it.

Cheryl
Blank
168348_tn?1379360675
I see it is dragon fruit ... these types of fruits can cross-react to other allergies ... I am not seeing it on a direct list for latex but be very careful with reintroduction and/or intro of other fruits such as kiwi, avacodo, bananna .. these 3 are big latex cross reactions.  

I would defnitely seek medical advice with a pedi allergist .. begin with your ped and see an allergist if they brush you off.

Is this the first fruit/food your baby has reacted to?

Cheryl
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Children's Allergies Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank