Children's Allergies Community
Chronic nasal congestion in 4 yr. old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to children’s allergies, hay fever, school issues, and allergies to animals and pets, birch pollen, drugs, dust mites, foods, insect stings, latex, mold, MSG, ragweed, peanut, and sulfite.

Chronic nasal congestion in 4 yr. old

My 4 yr. old has had chronic nasal congestion for 2 years now.  We've had adenoids (adenoids) removed due to recurring sinus infections.  Shortly thereafter - snoring began w/ an obstructive sleep apnea dx.  We then has his tonsils removed (extremely large and we were told was the cause of the OSA).  Since then, snoring is gone and no sinus infections, however, his nose is constantly stuffy.  He's still having to breath through his mouth.  I had allergy testing done - positive to peanuts, cats, & dogs.  We don't have pets and I've taken everything out of the house w/ peanuts.  He tested negative for indoor and outdoor allergies.  He's been on nasonex for months and I've even tried daily zyrtec to no avail ... still stuffy.  Out of desperation, I gut out wheat, gluten, and dairy ... still stuffy.  Any ideas?  I don't know what to do or who to see next ... pediatrician?  ENT?  Allergist?  I'm at a loss and very frustrated as I feel this is affecting his quality of life.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would go to an allergist. If he already had T&A removed I assume you had an ENT do that. My daughter had a wonderful allergist who has worked with us to stop coughing and deal with congestion. the ENT for t&a dealt with my daughter as just a surgeon it seemed, and some pediatricians have dismissed constant coughing as "normal".
Keep trying a mix of meds - before her adenoids (adenoids) were removed she took benedryl, dimetap, sudafed all winter as well as nasonex, singulair and pulmacort or advair. (now she doesnt need the otc meds.) the singulair helps our family with less congestion and the inhaler (pulmacort/advair) stops the coughing.  We just tried a new inhaler and in one week the coughing returned until she switched back to the old med.
zrytec took a week to work - started the second time while on prednisone to counter act the zombie feeling, and claritin does nothing for her, just primatine works best for her dad. so keep trying various combo's with a helpful doctor.
After she was born I had to do a "candida / celiac diet" to calm my daughter - no wheat or sugar was very hard but worth a peaceful daughter. It is hard  - my daughter making noises clearing the mucous all the time caused issues with some teachers. The teachers and my daughter needed to be educated on how to deal with this as a Medical and social issue.
given the surgeries and all the meds you have tried w/o full success, I would ditch on the Western Medical model at this point and consider taking your child to see an alternative practitioner -- a DOM might be a good place to start. My daughter has a similar condition and I've found the Western doctors/allergists to be utterly useless in the long term. It's always some band-aid Rx they recommend instead of truly trying to get to whatever is the root of the problem. The absolute best results we've had have come w/diet modification and craniosacral therapy. If you're not getting the results you want from the Big Pharma supported mainstream medical docs, you might consider looking into a DOM, homeopath, osteopath, anthroposophical doctor or other that might be able to provide a more comprehensive and holistic approach to your child's congestion problems. Good luck!
I absolutely agree with taking the homeopathic route. My daughter started the nasal congestion constant night coughing just before turning 3. The dr. tried her on several different allergy medications to no avail. Went to an ENT who barely examined her and wanted to take out her adenoids (adenoids) even though the xrays showed nothing wrong. Started to get skeptical of drs at that point. After about 8 months of no sleep and fear I was doing more harm than good with all the medication, I took her to a homeopathic who  detoxed her with herbs. Within 3 weeks she was completely better. We're having a little trouble with her this allergy season, but it is so much more manageable than it was last year. The homeopathic theory is that allergies are very often problems/imbalances in the gut and if you can fix the gut, you've got a good shot they'll go away. We also take her to the chiropractor. Good luck.
I totally understand where you are coming from, have you had any luck? I'm so depressed my 4 year old daughter is going through the same kind of thing.  She has thick long mucus that is constantly present.  Even after suctioning her nose, using salinex, nasonex, constantly blowing her nose and even removing her adenoids (adenoids) and tonsils (last week) she's the same.  Always mouth breathing, constantly stuffed, and like you I know it affects her quality of life as well as my family's at home.  I've tried naturopathic solutions, homeopathic solutions and antihistamines.  I have hit rock bottom and don't know what else to do.  I am open to suggestions, please help.
I have been dealing with the same issues with my 4 year ols son.  He misses a lot of pre-school cause of this as well.  He has had his tonsils (which were very large) and adneoids removed.  He has been on every med combo as well, but he is the same!  He coughs so bad he gags and sometimes throw's up.  It is sad how he is used to being like this.  I just asked the ped. last week how he is going to go to kindergartin, and she said she will write a note, but i want answers and help for him!  
did you ever determine what was wrong with your child?  Our 4 yr old breaths through his nose and sounds like his nasal passages are congested, but he's not constantly coughing or running fever.  thanks