Children's Allergies Community
Constant cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to children’s allergies, hay fever, school issues, and allergies to animals and pets, birch pollen, drugs, dust mites, foods, insect stings, latex, mold, MSG, ragweed, peanut, and sulfite.

Constant cough

My 6 year old has had a constant hack for over a month now.  Nothing is working, have tried allergy meds, inhalers, and oral steroids.  Doctor wants to send him for allergy testing.  He has a dry constant hack from the time he wakes up until he goes to sleep.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
does he cough up anything first of all?
No, nothing.  Just a dry hack not even a full cough.
yup lot of coughs around and its not just children I have had one and a scratchy throat for months now , we think its allergies from environment, my dh has the same and so do the people living in my neighborhood .
my 6 year old daughter has same thing. its been months now. 1st doctor thought maybe infection so antibiotics, did nothing. then tried family doc, he thought maybe allergy,asthma and she was on inhalers and singulair for over a month, did not help. took her to her ENT who saw a little irritation in throught on scope, and referred us to a Gastro doc for possible reflux. saw Gastro and she put her on Proilosec for reflux and its been almost 1 month with no improvement. she has a little congestion and that constant dry quick cough, like shes clearing her throught. It is very annoying hearing it nonstop and she starts 1st grade at new school soon, and i can see how this would be a disruption to the class. My wife and I still are leaning to allergies at this point. any OTC allergy meds we could try first? have you tried any?
My four year old is having the night cough problem as well. It really worries me as it almost sounds like she is choking when she does it. Its usually same time every night, around 2am, and lasts about five minutes. I've taken her to the doctor, and after a few tests we know she has no infections, no asthma, so the only thing we can think of is allergies as well. Whatever it is the cold of an AC seems to make it worse so we turn off her fan and unit at night when she goes to bed. Still, its been a month now, she's gone through a lot of medicine and the cough still won't go away. I've got a baby due this week and I'm worried about him getting it from her. Has anything worked for anyone with this?
My 6 year old daughter has the exact same thing going on.... So exasperating! I wonder who it annoys more - me or her? lol But seriously - last year we went through a gruelling period of seeing doctor after doctor - x-rays and almost a scope but we couldn't afford anymore (no insurance out of pocket for everything) and did the allergy meds, cough suppressants, expectorants...blah blah blah... My husband is pone to environmental allergies so this may be something similar but really? It seems to be most prevalent when and after she eats or drinks something but also happens from the time she wakes up when she hasn't even had anything yet - we thought - post nasal drip? but I have her blow and blow when she first wakes and it still happens - My friends that sometimes watch her for playdates ask me about the cough and I don't know what to tell them.... CAUSE I DON'T KNOW!!!! She has a dry loud HACK every minute or two like she is trying to clear something out of her throat but we have been told there is nothing there.... We had one doctor even tell us it was a bad habbit....? I doubt it because sometimes she is almost in tears saying she wishes she didn't have to cough so much! CAN ANYONE HELP!!!!!!!