Children's Allergies Community
Coughing with vomiting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to children’s allergies, hay fever, school issues, and allergies to animals and pets, birch pollen, drugs, dust mites, foods, insect stings, latex, mold, MSG, ragweed, peanut, and sulfite.

Coughing with vomiting

My son who is 6 started with hacking cough for about 2 weeks then ran fever of 103.5 for 2 days then cough got worse with gasping for air very similar to whooping cough. He was tested for whooping cough it was negative. He then began coughing fits that resulted in vomiting. We are now in the 6th week and he daily sometimes more then once is vomiting after a coughing fit or any physical activity like running around. The Dr. has him on singular once a day and albuteral 4X day. Has anyone experienced this before and do you know what is going on?? I am so frustrated and want to be able to help him but don't know what kind of specialist I should take him to he has seen ped & ent Dr. Any ideas or suggestions.
i'm going through the same exact thing with my 2 year old.  we are also on albuterol and just started singulair.   please please please keep in touch with me if anything helps. i;ll follow up with you too.
My nine month old and 12 year old are also going through this right now.  My 12 year old has had this for over a month.  I am also at a loss as to what to do.  This stuff is very scarey and I am afraid my nine month old is going to choke and then not get her breath.  My oldest throws up at least once a day with this.  
My daughter is 10 now, and we have been going through this since she was a year old. I've got great news for you!  Please, stop going to your regular pediatrician and take your children (preferably while they are coughing uncontrolably) to an asthma doctor.  My daughter was about 5 when I finally found someone that knew what we were going through, and suggested this to us. Our local Piedmont Allergy and Asthma Partners is awesome, and they have several different offices around my city.
The first time our doctor met my daughter, he did not immediatly begin poking and prodding her, he talked to her, listened to her, and then drew a picture on his tongue depressor and together with my daughter named this drawing. He then asked her for permission to look into her ears, nose and throat. I knew right away he was going to be great.  
In the five years since, we have worked together to get her on medication daily to prevent so many attackes, and I now know what to do when she starts coughing.  Her daily medication has really cut down on the bouts of coughing and we've only been to the hospital twice in the past two years, which is really down fromt he monthly visits were started at.  
There are going to be people, doctors included that are not familiar with this condition. My mother spent several years telling me I was wrong to treat my daughter for this and belittled everything about her treatment simply because it was something my mother had never heard of. It took an emergency trip to the ER with my mother in tow before she finally believed what the doctors were telling me was correct.  
If your able to get your son's condition diagnosed, be sure to explain the condition fully to each of his teachers at the beginning of every year. This may even mean going to the principals office and nurse to explain things to them.  I get calls every year, or notes sent home that my daughter's cough is disruptive and if she is sick she needs to stay home.  I even had one teacher tell her that she needs to supress her cough.  I explain upfront to the teachers now what is going on, and how they can look for signs to help me know, and that they need to call me right away.  Luckily to, now my daughter is old enough she can keep her albuterol with her, and knows when she needs to use it.  

I promise, there is help available, but you need to take the steps to get your child in with an asthma specialist.  Even if I call our local practice in the middle of the night, it is just a few short minutes that I get a call back with instructions on how to treat her.  We have a nebulilzer that she has to use as well, and one night about 11:00, it broke. I called the company that sold it to me and they were able to have a new one delivered to my door before midnight that same night.  

After diagnosis, if you do end up in the emergency room be sure to tell the check in nurse that your child is having an asthma attack.  Regardless of the symptoms, asthma is pushed to the front of the line only behind the bigger injuries or heart attack patients.  I hope this helps, and there really is help available for this condition.
Hi there-
I just noticed your post and was amazed at how similar the description is to the situation we are experiencing with our son who is 6.  Since he was a baby he vomited frequently and his ped at the time diagnosed him with acid reflux, then he got a bit older and the diagnosis changed to a milk and soy allergy, but he drinks milk and eats soy now, many years later without a problem (although if he overdoes too much dairy he starts to cough and then the vomiting).   The vomiting almost always triggered by the cough which happens when he has been running around or when he sniffs with his nose instead of through his mouth or when he eats something dry and crumbly and then starts to cough.   Definately if it is before bedtime and he eats something within only a couple of hours before bed he will have the problem.  He seems to do well for a while, but he had a cold a few weeks back and once he had the bad cough with that, it seems to trigger his very sensitive gag reflex from all his history of cough/vomiting and now it is a daily, sometimes multiple times a day scenario.  We would love to know what is happening and how to help him, but aren't sure how... if you find anything out, we would love to know.
   YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY TAKING YOUR CHILD TO AN ALLERGIST,ASTHMA DOCTOR; I SWARE THE PROBLEM WILL BE COVERED THERE.  THEY KNOW ALL ABOUT THE REACTIONS THAT ARE MAKING HIM SICK.   HOPE THIS WILL HELP      GOOD LUCK