Children's Allergies Community
Flaky scalp....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to children’s allergies, hay fever, school issues, and allergies to animals and pets, birch pollen, drugs, dust mites, foods, insect stings, latex, mold, MSG, ragweed, peanut, and sulfite.

Flaky scalp....

This is probably more of a dandruff problem than an allergy problem, but I didn't know where else to post this question, and I have NO IDEA what to do.  My 2 1/2 year old daughter has terrible flakes all over her little scalp, and I have no idea how to help her.  I have never had dandruff myself, but I doubt adult shampoos are ok for a kid (probably too strong and would probably burn her eyes)  Is there anything I can buy for her scalp to help?  I find myself combing her hair excessively in attempt to remove the flakes, but I know it's probably due to her scalp being dry and doubt I'm helping by brushing her hair constantly..... I'm clueless  =)   Please help.
Geez, I wonder if you put on some baby oil and comb thru with a small comb if it will lift the excess and moisturize the rest?  Like cradle cap when an infant. She may be allergic to somethinhg and have eczema of the scalp?  I'd ask your pediatrician first on both my idea and what is going on and see what he/she says first.

C~
I would try pure almond oil on her scalp. You might have to be careful in the future as it sounds like she has a very sensitive scalp. My nine year old daughter is the same so we use organic shampoo it is only made from pure essential oils it doesn't sting her eyes and i even use it as well it is great. Or you can try coal tar soap which is great also. You can get coal tar shampoo also. Go to your health food shop and or your pharmacy and you should be able to  get any of the above.  I have tried all of the above and they all work although because my daughters hair is down to her bottom we now just stick to the organic shampoo and conditioner. Oh and everything is all natural so there is no harsh chemicals.
I wouldn`t recommend using anything with coal tar.  It causes cancer.  Coal tar is another name for Creosotes.  Long-term exposure, especially direct contact with skin, to low levels of creosote has resulted in skin cancer.  Animal studies have also shown skin cancer from skin exposure to coal tar products.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has determined that coal tar creosote is probably carcinogenic to humans. The EPA has also determined that coal tar creosote is a probable human carcinogen.

You can go to the U.S.  Environmental Protection Agency web site for information on coal tar or creosote.

http://cfpub.epa.gov/ncea/iris/index.cfm?fuseaction=iris.showQuickView&substance_nmbr=0360

Or you can go to the Agency of Toxic Substances and Disease Registry:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts85.html