Children's Allergies Community
How to resolve Cat Allergies in 5 year old?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to children’s allergies, hay fever, school issues, and allergies to animals and pets, birch pollen, drugs, dust mites, foods, insect stings, latex, mold, MSG, ragweed, peanut, and sulfite.

My 5 year old stepson is allergic to my cat. He stays with us every other weekend, so we decided not to give the 3 year old cat away, but we're looking for a way for them to coexist (because right now he hasn't been over for awhile because of this).

I'm not very involved in his medical routine, but I do know he's allergic to several other items and has asthma. I was hoping to research some possible solutions and bring that to his father/mom, since his father hasn't been very proactive on the issue and his mother just wants to keep him away.

Any advice/suggestions on where to start would be greatly appreciated.
I have asthma and I have 4 indoor cats! For me, removing them from my bedroom at night helps most of the time.

Make sure that the cats never go in his bedroom. Put a HEPA filter in his bedroom.

Also you can buy an allergen spray for cats at the vet: ask about it, it's supposed to work fairly well. You just spray the cat fur several times a day when your stepson is around.

Good luck!
i am allergic to cats and i have asthma. there is only two options one you can keep the cat outside at all times clean your house from top to bottom. the cat will have to stay outside even when the child is not over. if i go into a house with cats even if they are outside when i get there but they have been inside i have problems and my asthma starts up. the other option is to get a new home for the cat. i have lived with this for 30 years and there is no other options if you want the child to be able to come over. please do one of these two things before he comes over again because his allergy to the cat can cause his asthma to start which is very scary when you can not breath and you are so young.

Good luck!
My allergies are considered pretty minor but they are most sever if there is carpeting. If you have carpeting in his bedroom you may want to look into putting in a pergo or wood floor. This will help pick up any animal hairs, dust, dander and may help the worst of his symptoms. Filters also work wonders. Also be careful of curtains. Dust can really collect on them so they need to be washed regularly.

I also think that you will probably have to get rid of the cat. If his asthma is sever there is just no alternative, ntm his mother won't let him come over if she's afraid of him having an episode. An asthma attack can be terrifying for the child and very dangerous, so it's best avoided at all costs. Your only other option would be to either have it be an outside cat only, or keep it only in one room and not let it on any furniture, carpeting, etc. that will be anywhere near the child. Also you will need to completely remove any signs of the cat being there, via shampooing carpets, upholstery, etc.
I am highly allergic to cats and have asthma and i was diagnosed when i was about 6 or 7. My aunt has cats and when ever I'm at her house i really struggle to breath and get very asthmatic but what I find that helps is taking allergy medicine and having a window open and cleaning rooms regularly because there is less cat hair around but it only helps temporarily.
There is a product called allerpet that might help.  You rub it on the cat, and it cuts down on the dander.  I had a boyfriend that had a huge reaction to cats, and this helped greatly!  Good luck!  I can't imagine having to part with my cat(s)