I have a 4 yr old. He has an intolerance to some foods which bring on the following symptoms.
Mouth ulcers. Slight skin reactions around the mouth ( redness, slight swelling & itching sensation).
The foods we found so far to be causing the above are citrus foods & anything containing vinegar.
Our G.P refered us to a pedeatrition, who was very good. He told us what to keep an eye out for, said he was fine & away we went.
I'm know very confused as to what to do next. Theres obviosly something not quite right as he's still reacting to something. even e've kept a food diary and cut out all foods that we know to cause a problem.
What should I do know...?
Get him tested for food allergies, and maybe look up some common problem foods and symptoms to see if any fit to what you see in your kid. Common ones are wheat, gluten, dairy, peanuts. Do you or your husband have any known food allergies or undiagnosed reactions to foods?
That poor kid!!! I would also say to get him tested for food allergies. My daughter is all dairy and eggs. She also is sensitive to soy. Some allergies are so hard to figure out. There are so many dyes and things that he could be allergic to. Ask you dr to test him. My daughter had blood drawn for it and the skin test that didn't hurt, but made her back itch like crazy.
Sorry it's been so long for me to say thanks for replying. We've now been to ENT regarding the mouth ulcers and drooling. Now im off to plead my case to the GP again for allergy testing. Why do I feel like im wasting peoples time. For every referal we've had, we've been sent on our way with no follow up. I know find myself having an imaginary conversation with the GP so as not to come across paradiod.
I know your post is a bit older by now. Still, I was wondering whether you received any further insights on your son`s food allergies. To some degree it is easier for a parent to test a child`s reactions since we are always around them than it will be for a GP or a specialist who only catches a snapshot of the situation. I hope you have your answers and your son is doing well.
My 6-year-old just went through a bout of mouth irritation - internal and external - with some ulcerated inflammation of the corners of his mouth. It looked like eczema and he had this before. Looking back, as a toddler the only times he had a diaper rash was after eating citrus fruit or any overly ripe pears or unripened tomatoes. In daycare, he started getting the powderized type fruit punch with ascorbic acid and had some episodes of inflamed corners of mouth. A few days before his recent episode started, he had lots of home-made lemonade, real lemon juice with water and xylitol as a sweetener and one of those ingredients must have left his whole gastro-intestinal tract raw. Obviously we discontinued the lemonade phase and he got better even though we continued some of the xylitol products. Thus I believe it IS the citric acid that his body was never able to tolerate and probably never will.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.