Children's Allergies Community
Rash after eating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to children’s allergies, hay fever, school issues, and allergies to animals and pets, birch pollen, drugs, dust mites, foods, insect stings, latex, mold, MSG, ragweed, peanut, and sulfite.

Rash after eating

Our 17 month old grandson broke out for the first time with a red rash on his cheeks, on his first birthday, right after eating bbq.  We thought it looked like an allergy, and avoided that food.  However, he began breaking out with this redness on his cheeks after eating almost anything.  It was just redness, warm to the touch, and went away after an hour or less.  Didnt itch, he didnt have a fever, and it did not seem to bother him, as he remained happy and very active.  1 week ago he broke out again after eating some noodles, but this time the rash lasted longer.  After about 4 hrs, small bumps appeared within the redness.  Right after this, his lips started swelling, as did the end on his tongue.  His mother took him to the ER and they recommended he see an allergist asap.  They gave him some sterioids.  The next day he saw a specialist who did blood work, suggested only feeding him a few different foods, and giving him a small amount of Benedryl each time he eats.  They also gave him an Epi pen, just in case.  For a week now, he has only eaten some french toast, green beans, & bananas.  He has had the Benedryl before eating each time, and has only had a slight rash after eating.  Yesterday the test results came back and he did not appear to have any known or common food allergies.  In the past couple of days he has become congested and cranky, he hasnt been sleeping well, but slept almost all day yesterday.  We dont know if there is any connection, but I did wonder if it had to do with him not eating much.  The specialist recommended he go back to his pediatrician to see what they think about where to go next.  For now, his mother is only going to feed him organic foods, and keep a close eye on him to make sure he has no swelling in his mouth again.  His regular ped wants to wait until he is 2 to do any further tests, but we are concerned about waiting.  Any suggestions?
Has he been tested for Celiac's disease? Food allergies are a direct immune response to a particular food; easily measured. Intolerance, not so much. Because BBQ started it and noodles and "everything else seems to do it too- I suggest going off gluten. This is all wheat, rye, barley, and Oats (at least for this experiment, some people are ok with oats). Keep him COMPLETELY (some people will react to a crumb or a contaminated knife with gluten) off it for at least 3 weeks and then see what happens when you give him a piece of bread.

Gluten is in everything from marinades, sauces, canned soups to all baked goods -which is why I'm suggesting it. Gluten free can be a bit expensive, but if all allergy tests are clear, this sounds like something possible.

Another possibility is fake sugars- which the organic foods probably wouldn't have. Dairy, which isn't usually in BBQ but many packaged foods can have milk solids or whey in them. Eggs too- many sauces and products contain eggs.

Whatever it is, I really suggest you don't wait until he's 2. If he needs an epi pen now- what would a few more months do? Way too dangerous to just let it be.
Thank you for your response.  I have a couple of friends with Celiac, so I'm familiar with the gluten issues.  So far, bread & eggs seem to give him the least amount of reaction.  His mom took him back to his regular ped, (not the one she just changed to) and the old ped didnt think we should wait.  She got him an appt with a new specialist in a couple of weeks.
Apparently there was some discrepancy because the first allergist did the blood work while the baby was on Benedryl.  They said that may have affected the results.  UGH!
The good news is that he hasnt had another severe reaction, but he's been very limited on the foods he's eaten.  He's also back to his normal self as far as the crankiness goes, and he's sleeping good again.