Hi, I really hope somebody can help me as I'm freaking out about this. A few weeks ago I slightly opened up a tin can of tomato soup but then decided not to have it so put it back in the cupboard and forgot all about it. I found the can this morning and where it has been exposed to oxygen it had a thick layer of greenish mold/mildrew sitting on the top. As I opened up the top of the can to get rid of the contents a puff of mold came out and went into the air. I am now really paranoid that some of the spores would have got onto my clothes or got in my hair and on my body and I'm now freaking that those spores are now in the air and can be transferred and breathed in by others (including babies or people with serious immune problems) which might cause them serious illness, maybe even worse.
I'm really scared that I may have done harm to others so really need to know what are the chances of causing somebody a lot of misfortune by them breathing in the spores.
Any help would be very appreciated as like I say i'm really paranoid and anxious about this.
If it bothers you that much, wash your clothes and take a shower - and wipe out your cabinet with lukewarm (not hot) bleach water. Really, though, mold from food can sometimes smell terrible and bring bugs, but it's not toxic on physical contact (unless you ingest it and get food poisoning.) I think you will be just fine. :)
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.