Children's Allergies Community
coughing for a month?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to children’s allergies, hay fever, school issues, and allergies to animals and pets, birch pollen, drugs, dust mites, foods, insect stings, latex, mold, MSG, ragweed, peanut, and sulfite.

coughing for a month?

My four year old is having a night cough problem. It really worries me as it almost sounds like she is choking when she does it. Its usually same time every night, around 2am, and lasts about five minutes. I've taken her to the doctor, and after a few tests we know she has no infections, no asthma, so the only thing we can think of is allergies as well. Whatever it is the cold of an AC seems to make it worse so we turn off her fan and unit at night when she goes to bed. Still, its been a month now, she's gone through a lot of medicine and the cough still won't go away. I've got a baby due this week and I'm worried about him getting it from her. Has anything worked for anyone with this?
I do know that many children have had dry coughs this year adults aswell, and it seems to be due to allergies, ask the Doctor what you can give her to see if allergy med will help ..does she have a runny nose and any other symptoms?
Hi naryashadow,
I am so sorry your Child is having these issues at night a cough like this can make it hard for her and for you to get the sleep needed. This post caught my eye right off because My daughter had same issues when she was younger she is 8 now. I finally was able to get her into a Pediatric pulmonary doctor and he ran a lot of test and finally he diagnosed her with Mild asthma and she is on meds and it took a few days but the coughing fits stopped. What he put her on was Flo vent two puffs in morning and two puffs at night and also In the beginning first week he also put her on albuteral at night before bed. this worked amazingly. I Know you said Asthma was ruled out, what kind of test did Dr run  and was it a specialist or just the regular family Physician?
Also something we did also was have her allergy tested and she has allergies and takes Claritian everyday and that combo helped so much.
Also what kind of cough is it a barky cough or Like a Whooping type cough?

Also you mentioned Ac and fan is there any chance you could have mold build up in your AC Unit or vents?
maybe she is allergic to Mold?
I Hope you are able to find out the cause of this and also Congrats on your new baby I Hope this all gets cleared up with a Doctor Please let me know If I can help with any suggestions.