Children's Allergies Community
looking for info for 7 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to children’s allergies, hay fever, school issues, and allergies to animals and pets, birch pollen, drugs, dust mites, foods, insect stings, latex, mold, MSG, ragweed, peanut, and sulfite.

looking for info for 7 year old

My 7 year old daughter was having heart palpitations and chest pain. I had taken her to the doctor several times. They ran tests on her heart and came to the conclusion that there is nothing really wrong with her heart so they ran blood work and discovered that she is anemic and her blood platelets are low. She had bleeding gums for several months and really terrible nose bleeds and bruising. Anyhow, after running more blood work they found that her ige level (something that shows her response to allergies?) was at almost 1300. The doctor had done allergy testing last year on her and she showed dust mites and cat allergies. He said her nose is totally inflammed and put her on a spray as well as singulair. He says to get rid of the cat because it is hard to control where the cat is in the house. With three kids it is hard to keep doors closed all the time. I was unsure wether to get rid of the cat but since she has been on this medication her chest pain and palpitations have stopped. Has anyone else had heart or chest related things with allergies because it seems that might be what it was after all. He also thinks the low platelets is that the allergies are suppressing her immune system. I know this may not be that common but if anyone has any information or a starting point for me I would really appreciate it.
My IgE levels generally sit at 1300 which is very high (they are supposed to be below 100). I am allergic to wheat and when I was strict with that I managed to get my IgE down to 750. This was about three years ago, I have since stopped being tested for allergies because it seems every time I am tested I am allergic to more things! It might be worth getting her tested for food allergies though. I have no symptoms of my food allergies except that my IgE levels shoot through the roof.

I have also had  unexplained heart palpitations - this is a correlation I never though of!

The past four months my eyes and lips have been swelling up and gone really dry. I am seeing an Immunologist in August but am going back to my GP next week to get my IgE levels tested out of curiosity.