Children's Allergies Community
rattle in the chest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to children’s allergies, hay fever, school issues, and allergies to animals and pets, birch pollen, drugs, dust mites, foods, insect stings, latex, mold, MSG, ragweed, peanut, and sulfite.

rattle in the chest

My daughter is 19mths old, for the past 7 months now she has had this rattle in chest sometimes accompanied by a fever but not always. this rattle is constant. we have been to numerous doctors, one says its asthma and prescribed her with ventolin and flixotide junior. another says its allergies and put her on soy milk but keep up with inhalers, others have said its viral and bronchitis, this is driving me nuts i just want my daughter to get better and hear be able to breathe normally. any ideas on what this may be?
You can visit with a Pediatric Pulmonologist.  Another medicine if the think it is allergy related is Singulaire.  That was a wonder-drug for my children for 4 yrs along with the other asthma meds.  It worked great to control their allergies which triggered their athma.  They had reactive airway disease.

When they cannot come up with a real answer I have even heard the term "happy wheezer"used.  But I don't accept that and I went to a specialist to get proper treatment.

My one daughter started at toddler around 14mos old and today is 15 and my other daughter grew into all this at age 10 and today is 17yrs old and both are well controlled in the asthma dept and allergies too.

Cheryl (17yr old anaphylactic to lates, plums, nuts & 15yr old bee allergic; both asthma and both severe environmental allergies)
I understand your frustration first hand. My 15 month old son has also suffered from the rattling chest issue for 7 months .  The docs say it could possibly be Reactive Airway Disease but aren't sure. He is a happy little guy (no fevers, no wheezing) with loads of energy but the crackling sound is constant and ldeep sounding .  The doctors say it is allergy related asthma and put him on Singular.  He has taken the meds for a week and has had no relief as of today.  We will take this for a month and see if he has any significant change.  To ease my worries and frustration I think I will take him to see a Pediatric Pulmonologist and hope for some indepth observation and care. I have just learned today of the milk allergy theory. What soy milk brand did you change too and did your daughter take to it?
hi there

my 6month old son has had a rattling in his chest since he was aout 3 months some days its really bad and when u hold him and your hands on his chest u can feel it other days its ok hes a really happy healthy wee boy but he is going to see heart specailist tomorrow (24/04/09) for further tests they said it could be that mayb hes got a virul thing or a heart murmur but have never suggested asthma!! but that would make sense as my partners side of the family have asmtha!! i must ask about that. and ill need to aslo ask if it could be an allergy to something?

emma