Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Arnold chiari malformation and neck adjustments

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Can you please tell me if it is safe to have neck adjustments done on someone who has an Arnold Chiari Malformation? I am hearing conflicting  information on this.

Thank you

Dawn
There are different categories of ACM. It depends on how severe it is... However, I would not advise receiving general chiropractic manipulations of the neck in this instance. I would suggest you consult with an Upper Cervical Specialist who performs either the Atlas Orthogonal, Grostic, NUCCA, Blair or Palmer Specific methods of adjusting. These are highly specific, light-force procedures that don't involve the same level of risk as rotational manipulation. A referral directory can be found on www.UpCspine.com

Adam Tanase, D.C.
www.drtanase.com
Thank you so much for answering my post. I have been seeing a chiro for 4 years now. He  insists it is ok to manipulate my neck, the neuro says it is ok but several others have said no.

It is so confusing.