Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Can Spondylolisthesis be fixed with physical therapy or going to a chir...

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Can Spondylolisthesis be fixed with physical therapy or going to a chiropractor?

My daughter is 12 years old who has hypothyroidism has recently been diagnosed with grade 1 anterior  Spondylolisthesis of the L5 and S1. There is a mild intervertebral disk bulge and there is severe stenosis of the central canal. So far, her orthopedist has said that she should have surgery to fix the problem, but we are still waiting for our second opinion from the neurosurgeon. Her right thigh will start to go numb after about 5-10 minutes when she stands up or walks. Is there any way that she could go to a chiropractor or go through physical therapy instead of surgery?
Unfortunately spondylolisthesis is not something that chiropractic care or physical therapy can reverse.

Chiropractic care might help make the symptoms more manageable, and perhaps even slow its progression to a degree, but ultimately it is not a cure.
I am so sorry to hear about your daughter going through so much pain so early in life! I have those same things (and more); thought I was too young at 45 (when I was diagnosed)! For the past 4 weeks I have been seeing a chiro who uses a technique called the "Activator Method".  It is a low impact technique that does not require manual manipulation of the bones. He has reduced my pain by about 25% - 30%. This has been nothing less than a miracle to me! Even my pain meds don't reduce it that much! It isn't a cure for our conditions, nor does it claim to be, it is however the best thing I have found to help manage my pain.  And believe me, I have tried everything! Here is a link to my chiropractor's website. He explains the technique and has a lot of general information that I have found useful. I hope your daughter can find someone to help her.
http://www.*********.*****.***/doctor/chiropractor/14L/lees-summit-chiropractor/activator-technique.htm