Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Chiropractic Question

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Chiropractic Question

I had someone tell me that chiropractic treatment can help with things like allergies and sleep problems....is that true?
In short, yes and no...

It is true that in some cases, allergies and sleep problems can be improved through chiropractic care. When the cause of these problems stems from the spine and nerve system - absolutely. Speaking first hand, I have witnessed tremendous improvements in patients who used to suffer from allergies...

There are cases, however, that are *not spine/nerve related. For example, I am "allergic" to shrimp, but all the chiropractic adjustments in the world won't do a thing for it.

The same is true for sleep... I've personally helped many patients with sleep disorders that are related to an over-activity of the nervous system. At the same time, there are patients who can't sleep due to emotional/mental stress. If, for example, someone fears that they may lose their job, or that they can't pay their mortgage next month, a chiropractic adjustment isn't going to fix those issues.

If you'd like to know more, and perhaps meet with a specialist in your area, I'll point you to this website: www.UpCspine.com - it's a great resource.

Warm wishes,
AT