Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Entrapped nerve, disk issues or?

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Entrapped nerve, disk issues or?

I am a 56 year old male.  I have a dislocated long head tendon in my right shoulder, a partial tear of the rotator cuff and take medication for high blood pressure. 3 months ago, I had a sudden onsight of pain in my right shoulder blade and by the next morning I had excruciating pain down my right arm and numbness in my pinky and ring finger.  The pain was bad if I walked and much worse if I sat down.  I also experienced weakness in my forearm and right hand and could not lift my pinky and index finger. I returned to work after 3 weeks.  I still cannot lift my pinky and index finger.  The index finger sometimes locks while I am typing. About 10 days ago I also started to get some mild pain and weakness in my left forearm and hand.  9 years ago I had a herniated disk in my lower back and 2 weeks into the current episode, I started to get occasional numbness between my right big and 2nd toes. This may also happen occasionally on the left side but this incident has gotten me so nervous that I don't know if that is real.  My treating physician treated me with PT and trigger point needles for nerve entrapment caused by contraction of the right pertoralis minor muscle.  She wrote that I have weakness of C6, C8, T1 (right and Left) and that my reflexes right=left=n and told me to take Vitamin B supplements and Alpha Lipoic acid.   I had a CT done of my neck which showed bulges in my C3-C4 and C4-C5 and narrowing of C5-C6 and C6-C7.    I also had an EMG of my arms.  The conclusions were normal NCS of the upper limbs, including f waves.  No evidence of any neuropathy and chronic reinveration changes in all tested muscles, more severe in right arm.
I will see a neurologist in 9 days and despite reassurances (30-40% false readings) am very nervous because of the EMG.    Does the nerve entrapment by muscle or disc disease sound reasonable?  Why is it starting on the left side as well?  Should I ask to have an MRI?   Would a chiropractor help?