Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Flashes of head pain - neck and shoulder problems

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

I am 49, a former athlete. To this day I work out daily with a Concept 2 rower, and free weights. I have had back sitffness, occasional pain and "throw out" my upper back (the muscle group) infrequently.

In the past year or so I developed a painless locking of my neck which unlocks with a painless "crack"....irritating, but not painful.

Likewise in the past 3 months or so I have experienced very sudden flashes of pain, such that I am startled by them. I have found that if I immediately rotate my head and turn it either way, shrug my shoulders, any movement of the head and neck it immediately stops, as fast as it happened.

I had one this evening that was quite severe, the worst yet. My reflex reaction was to lean forward and put down my cup as I was having a coffee at the time. That motion did the trick, and again it went away. Duration was likely 1 second, literally. But this particular flash was very severe and sudden.

I have never seen a Chiropractor, but I am thinking that with the seeming progression of things like this i should ........

Can you comment on this split second flashes of pain? Is this something you see normally? I rarely have a day where the muscles of my shoulders, neeck or back dont bother me.......This is of concern becuse of the suddeness and the severity.
Flashes of pain are typically caused by mechanical pressure of some kind. If I had to theorize the problem, it would seem that you're orienting yourself structurally/posturally in such a way that direct pressure is being applied to spinal nerves that fire these abrupt pain signals. When you reorient yourself and restore regular motion, it stops.

Seeing a chiropractor for this is a very good idea. I would suggest trying to find an Upper Cervical specialist in your area. Here's a link for a referral directory: http://tinyurl.com/ahxhcs

Adam Tanase, D.C.
www.drtanase.com